Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2011   #31
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Strange...hard to tell on these things - I've been getting essentially 100% germination on all dwarfs - I am growing the varieties sent to all the companies to distribute. Once I get a bit more rested (exhausted from seedling sales), I will take a closer look at which lots, etc....
Old April 23, 2011   #32
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Hey, I understand about markets. I should have been at one today too but my plants aren't quite ready and neither is our weather.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011   #33
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Strange...hard to tell on these things - I've been getting essentially 100% germination on all dwarfs - I am growing the varieties sent to all the companies to distribute. Once I get a bit more rested (exhausted from seedling sales), I will take a closer look at which lots, etc....
I have also been getting [almost] 100%germination on Summertime Gold & Dwarf Jade Beauty.
12 of 12 Summertime Gold.
4 of 6 Dwarf Jade Beauty.
All 16 are growing strong and healthy. And I already have two crosses in mind.

I really, really like the idea of a shorter, stockier plant... a lot less worrisome-more user-friendly. Slaps on the back to everyone involved in creating these.
Old April 24, 2011   #34
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi, quick question. I am really running late and just been able to get some seeds . Is it too late to start this year. I am in BC, Canada but will be growing in and out of a greenhouse. All my other tomatoes are already on the go. Maybe planting late in BC may be useful info for the project ?

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2011   #35
tedln

I purchased my dwarf project seed late from Victory. I decided to plant the seed direct in the pots they will grow in outside on March 7. I guess it is like growing volunteers. Beryl Beauty, Emerald Giant, and Mr. Snow germinated 100% within ten days along with New Big Dwarf. I only planted three seeds of each. They are doing very well and the Emerald Giant is already pushing bloom buds out the top. You should be okay to plant in Canada.

Ted
Old April 24, 2011   #36
hill60
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine

If you're using a greenhouse to supplement the growing season you should be fine.

I'm on the Island and have some late starts as well. It then depends on how cold our fall is. Using my greenhouse I've been able to grow and get ripe tomatoes up to the end of October.
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2011   #37
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
Jeannine

If you're using a greenhouse to supplement the growing season you should be fine.

I'm on the Island and have some late starts as well. It then depends on how cold our fall is. Using my greenhouse I've been able to grow and get ripe tomatoes up to the end of October.
Thank you, having been overseas for 9 years and only back 2 I am still trying to get used to Canadaian Springs again and it all seems to have changed.Last year, the blight got me very early and as I know little about these particular toms I thought I would check.

They haven't actually arrived yet but have been shipped I am told. I wanted to do the whole set together but could only get seeds for some as they had already sold out .I think I am missing 4 but I have bought.

Rosella Purple
Summertime Gold
Jade Beauty
Summertime Green
Wild Fred

I have grown tomatoes for many years and always had a fondness for small growing ones so was thrilled to hear about this..albeit late. With packing and moving to get back to Canada two or three years ago and then getting settled this is the first real chance I have had to do any serious growing and still running late.

What side of the island are you on?

Did you get blight with the greenhouse.?

Before we left for the UK in 2000 , I gardened with no blight but it was under cover. In the Uk where the blight is bad we gardened 5 greenhouses and never once got it.We grew till the frosts came.

Thank you for your help

XX Jeannine
Old April 24, 2011   #38
hill60
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine

I live west of Duncan in the Cowichan Valley. We've been growing veggies and tomatoes where we are for the last thirty years. Growing from seed and the greenhouse growing for the past three seasons so this part of gardening is new to me.

We have never had blight of any kind where we are. The only thing I know about it is what I read here and elsewhere on the internet so I can't be of help. Tania of Tatiana's Tomatobase is not far from where you she would have better info for your growing area.

I think the tomatoes from the Dwarf project will do well here.
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2011   #39
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I am fine with my tomaoes overall, it is just the new Dwarf ones I have no experience of and don't want to plant the seeds late if it is way too late.I would rather wait till next year.

Tatiana is about 5 minutes from me, she told me last year that her spot is a wee bit colder than were I garden.She is at a higher altitude than I am.

Thanks for the help, all I have to do now is fill the pots and wait for the postman....

XX Jeannine
Old May 1, 2011   #40
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Everything on Victory's site looks great. So far I'm really enjoying my selections I ordered from them for this year. Which of these stand out for all of you in terms of plant vigor, productivity, flavor, etc.?

Last edited by bigbubbacain; May 1, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #41
tedln

Bubba,

Do you have ripe fruit already? I realize you are in zone 9. While also in Texas, I am only in zone 7b and my plants haven't provided fruit yet. I also ordered my seed from Victory and received Emerald Giant, Mr. Snow, and Beryl Beauty. The Emerald Giant seed germinated first by two or three days and is growing slightly faster than the others. All three have started blooming, but have no discernible fruit yet. I haven't eaten a green when ripe, a white, or a bi color before, so I have no idea what to expect when they produce ripe fruit. I did plant a New Big Dwarf also to provide a taste contrast between the "unusual for me" colors and a red fruit from a dwarf plant.

The unusual thing for me has been going from planting seed to sturdy 18" tall plants with blooms in only seven weeks. My normal determinate and indeterminate varieties take that long to simply have seedlings to plant out. I think the difference in germination and growth rates may only be the fact that I planted the dwarf seeds direct into the containers they will grow in. I am considering always doing that because it eliminates the hardening off step and direct planted seeds seem to know when it is safe to germinate outside and not be killed by a late frost.

Ted
Old May 1, 2011   #42
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

I'm working out of town right now and I don't exactly know if I've got ripe fruit yet. I left some Purple Russians on the vine that were huge and still green. My Black Cherry and Katinka Cherry plants are loaded with fruit as well. I've got someone tending things for me and left instructions to pick as soon as there was a "first blush" of color, but I'm gonna hold breath. Seems I'm the only who manages to see that color change before the Mockingbirds do.

I hope the dwarfs work out for you. I've got my eye on these for my winter greenhouse crop
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #43
tedln

Sorry Bubba, I thought you were asking for comparisons to your dwarf plants grown from seed purchased at Victory.

Ted
Old May 2, 2011   #44
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Question for Craig.

Craig I am valiantly tying to get my head around the project.There is so much info here and I am getting really dizzy!!

Is there anyway you could put a link , or links, about the beginning and lead me in gently. I would like to understand it all but am coming in too late to grasp it all.

I can print it off and read it like a book in bed LOL

I feel sure that it is all here but need to know the best place to start.

Thank you...when you can,,I know you are busy.

XX Jeannine
Old May 2, 2011   #45
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Question for Craig.

Craig I am valiantly tying to get my head around the project.There is so much info here and I am getting really dizzy!!

Is there anyway you could put a link , or links, about the beginning and lead me in gently. I would like to understand it all but am coming in too late to grasp it all.

I can print it off and read it like a book in bed LOL

I feel sure that it is all here but need to know the best place to start.

Thank you...when you can,,I know you are busy.

XX Jeannine

Here ya go.

http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/dwarf-...formation.html

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote