Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 25, 2013   #46
loulac
Tomatovillian™

My first reaction at the opening of this thread was to think that since I wasn’t able to indicate the pronunciation of French words to American ears I wasn’t qualified. Now I feel more adventurous : I think I can translate French into English if someone is interested in something published in a French seed catalogue or in a post on a French forum. I’ll be happy if I can make myself useful.

Last edited by loulac; October 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2013   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
My first reaction at the opening of this thread was to think that since I wasn’t able to indicate the pronunciation of French words to American ears I wasn’t qualified. Now I feel more adventurous : I think I can translate French into English if someone is interested in something published in a French seed catalogue or in a post on a French forum. I’ll be happy if I can make myself useful.
Lou, you are more than qualified and have you noticed since your first post at Tville how much your English has improved?

I wish I could say the same about my French, but I think I'll stay with ordering ham omlettes and french fries off a menu, well, I can do a bit more, but not much.

Carolyn
Old November 2, 2013   #48
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

German, translation and pronunciation
French, translation and pronunciation
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2013   #49
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Russian.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2013   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to Gary and Tania, our newest additions and just to let all of you know that I haven't forgotten this thread.

Just too much other stuff to do right now, and some of it actually tomato related.

Carolyn
Old September 26, 2017   #51
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarSK View Post
Apparently I can't edit, so please add the following:
Slovak: translation
Cyrillic: transliteration
Cyrillic script is used in eg. Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian, Bulgarian, Macedonian and sometimes in Serbian. Also some non-Slavic languages in Russia. Cyrillic is based on Greek capitals with added letters for sounds peculiar to Slavic languages.
Elaborating a little:
Despite its name cyrillic doesn't have to have anything to do with st. Cyrillos. Several centries before Konstatin and Metod, two slav-macedonian brothers, were born in (Thes)saloniki, slav was written using Greek letters with added letters for specific Slav sounds, especially sibilants/frichttps://www.google.pl/?gws_rd=cr&ei=zzNmUv36Buic4wT7yIHACAatives/affricates and ligatures for eg. vowels preceded by semivocalic i/j/y. This is seen eg. in some letters written on birch bark and preserved in northern Russia. Germans, eg. the archbishop of Salzburg laid claim to parts of Great Moravia and sent missionaries. Such missionaries as well as trying to proselytize for Christianity also worked for the German language and culture. Rostislav also wanted Konstantin and Metod to be a counterweight to the archbishop of Salzburg and the German influence. Great Moravia is called an empire, but it had no emperor and no central administration, and it was rather a loose military alliance of Slavic tribes in Moravia, Bohemia, Slovakia and parts of Poland, Hungary, Austria and Slovenia. Duke Rostislav was not a ruler, but a coordinator and a military leader.
Konstantin and Metod translated the bible to slavic (old church Slavonic, which name in eg. German and Danish is ancient Bulgarian, but it could also be called ancient Macedonian. They are also credited with devising a script for Slavic, which may well be right, but it is probably not Cyillic, because that is too obvious, as the spies probably knew well Greek and had some knowledge of Slavic. Instead I think they "invented" Glagolitic, which is not a full-blown script, but a cipher used to conceal the underlying language (Slavic in this case).

Last edited by GunnarSK; September 26, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #52
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Gunnar,thanks so much for that wonderful history you just posted,and so glad to see you are still with us.

You should post more, you really should, your choice of topic Forums.

Carolyn
Old September 26, 2017   #53
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

I am here for Arabic translation and pronunciation.
ibraash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #54
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Romanian
Old October 1, 2017   #55
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Norwegian, translation and pronunciation

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2017   #56
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Russian, Belarusian - translation, pronounsation, Cyrillic transliteration.

108 languages are now based on Cyrillic alphabet, the second oldest Slavic alphabet.
The oldest known Slavic alphabet is Glagolitic script. GunnarSK has told about it, not about Cyrillic (which was emerged a bit later as Old Bularioan alphabet). But they quite similar.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; October 2, 2017 at 01:27 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote