Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2017   #121
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
I got my first Rebel Yell today.... oh. my. goodness. just as yummy as the japanese pink cherry, just bigger and juicier. everyone liked it. I have had more but it was a pitiful year for many tomatoes here and I sold the nice ones as they ripened.

clp, is the Rebel Yell normally this late? I thought I had some 3 weeks ago, plants set out 5/15.
Thanks
Pete
no, it was a pitiful year, (everything, as in all of NE OH, had bacterial speck outside). my first also growing in a large high tunnel. I sell my tomatoes so anything of selling quality got sold anything of canning quality went home to my friends house for canning. I had a small 'orphan" plant that got put in another greenhouse in late June that just had a couple ready fruits and I ate a small tomato off of it the other day... I had to go looking and tasting to see what one it was. rebel yell.
Old September 14, 2017   #122
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

thanks cl,
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2017   #123
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

UPDATE :
All but of my plants keep fruiting :

1- Sungold
2- Stupice
3- Indian Stripe PL
Toward the end of August most of my plants stopped setting tomatoes and got foliage disease. I just neglected them and discontinued my regular spraying and watering. Despite all of that , today I managed to pick about a dozen tomatoes.

I have few more that are alive and have new flowers but there is no hope for those flowers becoming ripe tomatoes before the end of season.
Next year I plant to plant fewer varieties/plants and try to take better care of them 34 varieties and about 60 plants was too much work for me. I ended of giving away a lot and made over 10 gallons of sauce. .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2017   #124
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, I was going to post saying similar and asking: Will little tomatoes just starting make it by frost? i am in central Indiana and I did continue to fertilize and spray but still lost some to foliage decease. The Dwarfs ( Beauty King, Brandy Fred, Tennessee Suited)and like some of the larger heirlooms(Donskoi, Bear Creek, Olive Hill) and purples(Dana's Dusky, Cherokee Purple, Barlow's Best) took right off after fertilizer 3 weeks ago and have tons of large fruit now(not real sure of varieties- dizzy me!). I have a lot of "splits" prob from water everyday but some varieties no splits??
But still I guess that if the baby fruits won't make it where you are my thought is they won't make decent sized here either? I wonder if I should "top" these blossoms and small tomatoes to force all the energy and nutrients to the rest of plant? Anyone have any input?
Like you I had to many varieties - 24 - and over 100 plants. Will cut back next year and grow the most prolific and tastiest - maybe ask Marsha from her list the best to grow.
Thanks
Pete

I also made gallons of soup and #'s of baked/stewed tomatoes in freezer - i give some away but i eat a ton all winter and always run out in March - not this year

Last edited by tryno12; September 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: incomplete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #125
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Big ones: Chapman, Madame Garnier Rouge, Orange Jazz, Terensanko 6
Medium/small: Jaune Flamme
Cherry: Nectar F1 (from Park seeds). I grew this one last year but nothing special then. This year they are fantastic, best of all red cherries, they are from the same seed package. And the usual: Blush, Green Tiger, Maglia Rosa, Sungold F1
Paste: Cow's T-i-ts (not a dirty word, but the site ****ed me) from Brokenbar , but more varieties to come...
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #126
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Couple new orange ones from Tania did well for me: Dina and Orange Altai. The Dina wins for earliness and productivity while the Orange Altai wins for flavour.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #127
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

My best tomato (Flavor plus production plus marketable (not cracked and split prone)) was not one I would have ever suspected looking at my seed list in march:
Big Beef. Yup. They tasted great and not one cracked or split. Uniform production from top to bottom.
My season was so bad on all the heirlooms with splitting and cracking, that I am done trying to grow heirlooms as an income source. Third year in a row where the heat that comes on in July sets them in split/crack mode that I can't stop no matter how I adjust my irrigation. My hybrids don't have this issue, and Big Beef's flavor this year was right up there with any of the 15 heirlooms i grew.
I have tasted BBeef in the past and was unimpressed. But, back then, I was not supply a fully metered nutrient load to the crop. Now that I am doing that, perhaps the fully genetic potential is expressing itself.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #128
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Did I ever have a great season for tasty tomatoes this year!

Adding to my list:

Given to me as Arkansas Traveler, very tasty and productive red (not pink). This could be the "original".

Dona F1 sweet, delicious, productive and round red.

Bulgarian Triumph small round red and sweet.

Sweet Aperitif, very sweet and delicious red cherries.

Blush - absolutely wonderful this year, fruity and sweet and almost as good as:

Little Lucky Still my favourite overall!

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; September 20, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #129
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Am I wrong to remember that arkansas traveler is pink not red. at least the time I remember growing them they were pink and rough. very round but the skin was rough. maybe I had the wrong thing. needless to say I didn't grow them again.
Old September 19, 2017   #130
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, you are correct. Mine are red and therefore wrong, but very tasty! I shall make a note on my message.

Thanks,
Linda
Old September 19, 2017   #131
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

interesting. glad your red ones were good, though.
Old September 20, 2017   #132
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default For those Confused about the Color of Arkansas Traveler

Some in posts above say pink,others say Red which they say is wrong.

The most simple explanation is that there has been an epidermis mutation from clear(pink) to yellow (red),, but IMO the correct explanation is as follows.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ansas_Traveler

Arkansas was never part of the name as noted above.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/568/#b

scroll down in the above link to I think it was Farmer Dill who mentioned Gulf State Market and noted that there was an earlier version in the 20's and 30's, felt to be extnct.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Note above that there was a RED version from about 1917.

Reimer's is selling it, but,well, Reimer's has sold F1's that were not, and well, I just have problems with them as a seed source as noted by others.

Summary? Arkansas was never part of the original name,Farmer Dill,whom I knew well, was right, there was an earlier version thought to be extinct, but apparently not extinct since someone got it out of the USDA PCGrin.

So each of you have two choices.Go with the simple explanation as opposed to what I call the correct one as noted above.

Hope that helps and was worth my doing all the background searching.,

Carolyn
Old September 20, 2017   #133
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Standouts in our field that were new to me: Rebel Yell and Cherry Roma
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #134
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Most of the pink tomatoes I have grown actually are almost red in my garden. Not so with Arkansas Traveler. It is about as pink as pink gets.

And it is not mild to my taste buds like almost every online store selling seeds says it is. It actually has complex flavor and is a great tasting tomato.

The way it grows is a little strange too. It is a relatively compact plant and the first tomatoes are really small (about golf ball size). As the plant gets bigger the tomatoes get bigger until they are baseball size.I think one of the plants is about 5 ft tall or more.

Edit: Just looked at the tomatobase site and those tomatoes look red but mine are pink pink pink. Also see where they say it has complex flavor so I am not the only one

Last edited by seaeagle; September 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #135
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Some in posts above say pink,others say Red which they say is wrong.

The most simple explanation is that there has been an epidermis mutation from clear(pink) to yellow (red),, but IMO the correct explanation is as follows.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ansas_Traveler

Arkansas was never part of the name as noted above.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/568/#b

scroll down in the above link to I think it was Farmer Dill who mentioned Gulf State Market and noted that there was an earlier version in the 20's and 30's, felt to be extnct.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Note above that there was a RED version from about 1917.

Reimer's is selling it, but,well, Reimer's has sold F1's that were not, and well, I just have problems with them as a seed source as noted by others.

Summary? Arkansas was never part of the original name,Farmer Dill,whom I knew well, was right, there was an earlier version thought to be extinct, but apparently not extinct since someone got it out of the USDA PCGrin.

So each of you have two choices.Go with the simple explanation as opposed to what I call the correct one as noted above.

Hope that helps and was worth my doing all the background searching.,

Carolyn

Great work Carolyn!

I'm guessing that the variety I have is that old one. Gulf State. I know that the kind person who shared the seeds with me has been growing them for many years

My plant is quite compact and actually survived pretty well in a large cage! It was very productive.

Linda