Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2017   #721
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

That stinks! I would report it to the police then begin trolling Craigslist for people selling seedlings. This is the time of year people are looking to buy seedlings and whoever stole them may be looking to make a few bucks off them. I doubt they'd take the time to repot them and you may just find them. If you do, alert the police.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #722
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I agree that you should try to get seedlings but please also post if you need more seeds.

Last edited by agee12; March 31, 2017 at 10:20 PM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #723
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

We caught a landscaper in our area a few years ago that would purchase a large amount of plants from a big box store, use them in his landscaping operation and then go around to other similar landscaping jobs at night, dig up the plants and return them the next day. People cease to amaze me anymore.

I would definitely call the police.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #724
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

What kind of scum ball steals someone's food source??? What goes around, comes around. As my Mom used to say, "They'll get theirs..."
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #725
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes, tell police. If you don't they will find a thief's garage full of plant starts and have no way to find where they came from. Thief will get away because they can't prove the plants were stolen.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #726
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
We caught a landscaper in our area a few years ago that would purchase a large amount of plants from a big box store, use them in his landscaping operation and then go around to other similar landscaping jobs at night, dig up the plants and return them the next day. People cease to amaze me anymore.

I would definitely call the police.
A landscaper here was loading outside plants from big box on his truck and then driving off only to come back later to take them to returns for cash back! The guy that worked for him told me about it! He did it for a long time before they caught him. They didn't prosecute him! Maybe not enough evidence?. .
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #727
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

We are following some leads. I will post about it when we find out more.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #728
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Well, all the leads have led to dead ends. We think we know who took them. Earlier this year a friend of the family hired some day help for me to help with a nut grove project I've been working on. The help came from a homeless tent city in the nearest large city to us. One of the neighbors caught video when he was driving away. Gigi was the one who recognized him. She said well he's had a haircut and shaved but that looks like that guy Shawn who helped work on the nut grove that day. The tag on the truck was stolen. I have tomato seedlings nearly ready to set out, some we set out last week from a very generous T'viller! Thank you!

My b-day was in April. I had a "surprise" birthday party. What made me cry after i had walked into the party room was when i turned to my left and there were all these trees and plants for b-day gifts. Lol... they all said they got some very strange looks from the other patrons eating at the restaurant. (It was held at my favorite local Greek/Italian restaurant.)

I never expect to see Shawn again but I made the choice then and still stand by it that i'll try to help those less fortunate than me whenever i can. I firmly believe what goes around comes around.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote