Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 20, 2015   #1
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Default Best time to grow determinate canners and pastes in Texas

I am planning to grow a few varieties of determinates ( Chico III or Chico Grande, Plainsman, and EM Champion ) for canning and making Chili Sauce next year, and am trying to decide whether to plant them in the Spring or Fall season. each season is about the same length and is too hot at one end and too cold at the other. Input from growers in similar areas as to wich season works best for these types or suggestions for additional varieties would be helpful.

Last edited by ABlindHog; November 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

You guys need to start real early for your first season so that you will end up having at least a 4 month season.So, say you plant out end of Feb and done end of June.
Another thing is to plant varieties with the shortest DTM known to the man.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mike May I ask what part of the Hill country in the West.
A general area will suffice.
The reason I ask is because I live in the hill country also but south east of Austin about 30 miles.
This can make a difference on plant out time by about one to two weeks if you live out around Llano or Marble Falls.
You know what I mean.
As was said as early as you can, start seeds in December and try to plant out in March.

Get your bloom set grow the tomatoes and pull the darn things when the last one is picked.
This should be ending in July.
Then go back and plant Okra in its place.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #4
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Worth
I am situated on the western edge of Gillespie County, about 30 miles to the west of Fredericksburg. Probably about 120 to 140 miles WNW of you.
I start tomatoes in the first week of February. The average last frost occurs here on March 25th. My customary planting date is March 10th with plants held in reserve in case of losses. Most plants are done in by the heat by early July. I plant my okra in late May when the lettuce and spinach give out. Start tomatoes for the Fall garden on June 10 and plant them out by July 20th. The average first frost occurs on November 5th, but the tomatoes stop ripening a few weeks before that. In November I am busy with Deer processing and sausage making, and I still have cole and root crops in the garden for a couple more months.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote