Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2013   #271
tedln

Cindy,

You and I share the same climate unless you are in the metropolitan Dallas area where you may have more of a heat island effect than me. We both use automatic watering systems and probably planted out very close to each other. My plants mostly have the exhausted look with bare vines up to a couple of feet from their tops where they are growing and blooming. At this point, I play a watch and wait game. If my plants start generating growth from the bare stems near the soil, I trim them back to the new growth. If they don't generate new growth, I either remove them and plant new plants or simply allow the tops to continue growing and produce again when the weather cools.

I am surprised your plants look so good this late in the season. It may be a result of the varieties you are growing as well.

Ted
Old July 29, 2013   #272
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the light rain we had last week did get a few Amish Paste buds to set. I think next year I might move to more indeterminates and less bush varities.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #273
Kristi
Tomatovillian™

Hi! I'm just north of you in Georgetown. I have now grown Costoluto Genovese twice. They're one of my favorite-tasting tomatoes, and depending on the amount of sunlight they get, they can be very prolific. They really seem to like FULL sun. Although as Ted says, that shade cloth beginning in about June will really help them make it through the summer better so they can produce again in the fall.

I also agree with Ted that planting early is the best strategy as well. Have had much better production from my tomatoes when planted in early to mid-March and protecting from freezes than by waiting until after April 1.

I've also grown Rutgers, original Indeterminate heirloom variety. This is another of my favorite-tasting tomatoes. It's the tomato Campbell's soup uses to make their tomato soup. Very intense tomato zing. Love it! Rutgers performed VERY well. It was VERY prolific. However, it did not come back and produce for me in the fall like I'd hoped. Probably because it was a "Semi-determinate." Though I'm still trying to figure out exactly what that means.

Homesteads are also a very good variety for me, but mine were a determinate strain. They produced loads of tomatoes and then were just done. Same for Romas. Homesteads and Romas not as great tasting as Rutgers and Costolutos if you ask me. But they make LOADS of tomatoes and are both great for canning and making sauce.

Brandywine Pink heirloom tomatoes taste like no other, but they don't produce many tomatoes. To me, it's worth growing one or two just so I can have that divine taste experience.

Porters and Porter's Pride tomatoes were bred for Texas. Just can't kill them and they produce like crazy, even if you plant them late and don't use shade cloth. They're not as tasty to me as some of the other tomatoes, but they're both GREAT varieties for Texas.

About all I know. Best of luck!!
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote