Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 11, 2006   #16
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Okay as to the growing the RP in a bucket. That's a possibility. I read that it's not too big. I had a couple very large ones in buckets last year and it was beyond my ability to cope with it.

As for the uploading of photos, I use photobucket and it works for GW but for TV, the photo doesn't appear, just the link. I'm sure it's just a little tweak to do that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the help.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #17
grungy
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Although both were good tomatoes - love the subtle "smoky" flavor of the the blacks (most of them have it and it hard to describe) I like the Russian Black slightly better.
grungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #18
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I thought that's what you said so that's what I put on my list for the main garden. I'll cram other things into the flower bed again.
Old February 11, 2006   #19
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Barb and D., 'Khurma' translates to 'Persimmon' from Russian (as you propably already figured out ). Is 'Russian Persimmon' the same variety as 'Khurma'? I don't know, at least the translation doesn't imply that (unless someone added 'Russian' to indicate the origin and differentiate it from the other 'Persimmon' )

Here is what some Russian seeds vendors say about 'Khurma':
  • "Mid-season variety, also suitable for greenhouses. Fruits are gold/orange, 100-250g" (which is 3.5-9 oz)
    "Lovely fruits with very good taste. For GH and fields. Mid-season. 115-125 days from seed germination to ripe fruit."
Unfortunately none is saying whether it is a det. or indet.

I know Russian Persimmon is a determinate. I've got my Russian Persimmon seeds from Patty last year, and I loved it - very good taste. I never grew Khurma, so can't speak from my experience whether these are the same tomato

For some reason, Khurma seeds are no longer available on Russian market (I could only look them up on the 'cached' pages, and can't find it in 2006 catalogs)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #20
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

You're such a resource of information, Tania! I love it.

So the American Persimmon and the Russian Persimmon/Khurma are 2 different varities. They're listed separately at TGS, altho your description sounds much more encouraging to me than the one at TGS. It's also good to know I can probably stick it in a bucket and save space in the garden.

That said, just because something is a determinate doesn't mean it's "short" and won't tip a bucket over without cinderblocks bracing it. Most of my determinates were 3'-4' last year but the New Yorker was nearly 6' tall. Good tomato but well into August before I saw anything.