Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 11, 2011   #1
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Default Heritage Tomato Seed

I'm happy to announce Heritage Tomato Seed is now offering all 9 of the new dwarfs introduced last year by the Dwarf Tomato Project:
http://heritagetomatoseed.com/catego...omato-project/
I am also in the process of listing our other tomato additions and hope to have them completed in early November.

As an introduction, Heritage Tomato Seed is a joint venture between my sister Marla and myself. We are still (this our third year) a very small tomato seed company and we save all of our own heirloom/OP tomato seeds.

Marla has been an avid gardener all of her life and operates our Sacramento, CA trial garden - she also does most of the blossom bagging, tomato grafting and is the only one of us that can read, and understand, a scientific paper on plant genetics. She is the brains behind the business - I'm sure she would agree.

I (Steve) run the San Diego trial garden, fill the seed orders, and do the website stuff. I have raised dahlias commercially, as cut flowers, for 30 years, so I am much more of an expert on dahlias than on tomatoes, but I'm observant, and am learning fast.

Thanks to Mischka for creating Tomatoville and thanks to everyone here for sharing your tomato growing experiences. I find the information here invaluable.

Steve

http://heritagetomatoseed.com/
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Steve, a lovely catalogue, best wishes on your joint venture. Nice pictures and descriptions - I especially enjoyed the Gary'O Sena entry. Only one flaw, hope you will soon ship across the border!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #3
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Steve, a lovely catalogue, best wishes on your joint venture. Nice pictures and descriptions - I especially enjoyed the Gary'O Sena entry. Only one flaw, hope you will soon ship across the border!
Thanks, salix... I raised Gary'O Sena again this year just to take a photo - I'll get it up one of these days .
And, I'll be adding the UK and Canada as soon as I figure out how to do the backend at Paypal. Probably next year, though.
Old October 11, 2011   #4
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

I saw you seeds and I was considering to buy some (especially the dwarfs - that one that are not availeable at Tatianas) ; but i can´t because you don´t ship to Germany. Perhaps this will change some day...
That´s very sad!

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Simone,

Yes, when I figure out how to add other countries to Paypal I will add Germany. I think I will have to redo my present shopping cart to make it more flexible. Thank you for looking!

Steve
Old October 11, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Steve, nice catalog.

Can I make a suggestion? Thanks, I will.

When I got a flyer fromn Joe Bratka, whom I know quite well and saw Purple Brandywine on it I called him ASAP b'c there was no such variety and he'd given it a fictitious history as well, as he has for all his Sara ones and most of the Marizol ones.

Anyway, he said there was demand for heirlooms, so he was going to breed them, and he did. I convinced him to change the name to Marizol Bratka, since Marizol Purple was one of the parents, and he agreed but had already sent out Purple Brandywine seeds.

My suggestion? Consider leaving it as Marizol Bratka, perhaps with an aka to PB so that the Purple Brandywine with the fictitious history is less well known and maybe will go away.
Old October 11, 2011   #7
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Simone,

Yes, when I figure out how to add other countries to Paypal I will add Germany. I think I will have to redo my present shopping cart to make it more flexible. Thank you for looking!

Steve
Oh Steve that sounds great...

And when do you think - with a little glimpse in a crystal ball - will you manage this?
I know I am sometimes a little bit annoying...but that is how I am.

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #8
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Done! http://heritagetomatoseed.com/heirlo...arizol-bratka/

It is one of my favorites. I wish you had recommended to Joe an easier name to spell

Steve
Old October 11, 2011   #9
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Simone,

I will make a special effort to look into it ASAP... keep bugging me!

Steve
Old October 11, 2011   #10
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Ha! I just read my brother Steve's introduction to heritagetomatoseed and like usual he is far too kind and generous with his praise. I'm betting anyone that follows this thread knows Steve is extremely knowledgeable and what he doesn't know he figures out including the genetics. He does 90% of the work (including the thinking) and I do the fun stuff. Everyone should be so lucky to have a brother and "business partner" like Steve.

And, as Steve said, thanks to everyone here for sharing their tomato growing experiences. This is an invaluable site.
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #11
halleone
Tomatovillian™

A very nice job indeed; if someone needs a good chuckle, go see the entry on Gary O'Sena. I'm still giggling about that one! Nice collection of Wild Boar varieties, too.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #12
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I give Heritage Tomato Seed two thumbs up (one for Steve, one for Marla) After ordering from them last year, I've been looking forward to their new updates. Great service, excellent varieties and the most beautiful darn tomato pictures you'll find anywhere!
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Carolyn,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Done! http://heritagetomatoseed.com/heirlo...arizol-bratka/

It is one of my favorites. I wish you had recommended to Joe an easier name to spell

Steve
Well that was quick!

What's so difficult about Marizol Bratka, you tell me. When I was still teaching I asked one of my students who was from Germany if she knew a place called Marizol. And she ASAP said that it was a contraction of a village name called Maria's Zell, or town. I gave her an A for the course.
Old October 11, 2011   #14
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

Absolutely gorgeous online catalog! I enjoyed it so much.

Your tomatoes look like beauty contestants on those photographs

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #15
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
A very nice job indeed; if someone needs a good chuckle, go see the entry on Gary O'Sena. I'm still giggling about that one! Nice collection of Wild Boar varieties, too.
halleone, thanks, and be sure to check out Brad's other varieties at:
http://www.wildboarfarms.com/

Steve