Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2017   #1
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Default Last freeze in the Texas hill country?

I'm thinking tonight may be our last frost and am thinking about setting out my tomatoes tomorrow afternoon. I have a few back up plants but not as many as I could lose. Anyone else planting out this weekend? Anyone think it's too soon?
I have been taking tomatoes outside for a little sun and wind acclimation the last few days. The wind never seems to stop and is really hard on them. When planting my tomatoes out I cage them and cover the cage with a clear trash bag to protect them from the wind till they get sturdy enough to stand on their own. Getting them planted and protected may be easier on them than trips out into the wind every day.
When do you plan to plant?
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've been using a fan on ours. The ones I started on January 8 are getting big. Some are leggy, and others stocky, but I can tell they are not ready for how windy it is here. I'm also North of Waco, so I'm not in the hill country.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Well, Texas is a huge state. I am not familiar with all the climates over there.

To answer your question: When is your LFD ?
Take that as a bench mark and keep your eyes on the 15 days forecast.
Say if day 7 on 15 days forecast is your LFD and it looks gorgeous even 8 days beyond that , I would say jump in.
This year in most of south we have much warmer than average temperature. Not every year is "Average". Then average man buys 3 and half pairs of jeans per year. Show me a man who does doe that :

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; February 24, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #4
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Good to see that those last storms did not get to you. It may work out that my LFD was 01/08, but I expect lows in the lower 40's as often as not for the next 2 weeks. I do plan to be done planting all 50 toms by or before 3/19, or more likely by 03/11. If I plant out a row after Noon this Sunday, it will be just to make more room for the remaining toms and the peppers still in the hothouse, to be planted out weekly thereafter.

Last edited by decherdt; February 24, 2017 at 02:41 PM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

A little too early, unless you plan to protect from frost. I will plant out in about 3-4 weeks. I wrap my cages with grow cloth to protect from the wind. I usually watch to see when the large mesquite trees start to leaf out as well as the return of scissor tail fly catcher birds. Pretty reliable, not 100%, but close.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #6
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer
Average last freeze date here is March 25th but that has not been very meaningful for the last several years.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #7
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

50% Last Frost Date for Austin was Feb. 17. Burnet Cty is Mar 20.

Look here. http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze...ates/index.php

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #8
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Spring is marching north...slowly. From 70s a couple of days ago to snow and windy today. The geese are flying back south again after three weeks of heading north. The lilacs were budding out so most likely there will be few flowers this year. Winter is back here in the great plains.
Old February 24, 2017   #9
charley
Tomatovillian™

I planted 12 plants but I can protect them and I have backups you know they say thunder in February Frost in March. This whole row is green when ripe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170223_174655-747x1328.jpg (359.9 KB, 128 views)
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is forecast to be in the 30s tomorrow night and it is over 85 right now a little after 3pm here in lower Alabama. I'm still going to wait a bit longer. It doesn't hurt as much to be two weeks late as to be two or three weeks too early.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #11
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

Planted out half my mater plants today. Only because they were so huge they were falling over. We do have a forcast to 40 tonight so a little concerned. I have blooms and some fruit set on my plants in little 4 inch containers. They just grew too fast this year. My texas hibiscus is fulling green by now so don't expect a frost. Still low 40's is a challenge for little ones.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #12
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Saint Delkus at WFAA here in Dallas said that the long term data shows a possible cold snap in mid March. I was thinking about planting early too, but I've put too much effort into my babies to risk it. I'm going to hold off for another week to 10 days, check the 10 day forecast and if it looks good I'm going for it.

I notice that when we get a cold snap, you guys in central Texas often get it too. Something to consider.

Tonight's supposed to get down to the mid 30s here in the DFW area. :-S

Cheers,

Adam
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It is forecast to be in the 30s tomorrow night and it is over 85 right now a little after 3pm here in lower Alabama. I'm still going to wait a bit longer. It doesn't hurt as much to be two weeks late as to be two or three weeks too early.

Bill
Very similar situation over here. Today was up to ~ 85F. Sunday night is forecast to be at 38F. Not a big deal unless the forecast is off and it gets colder than that. For this reason I will protect my " Mighty Four" that night just to be safe.
Then the next cold low will come on March 8th @ 37F . I will go for cover again though at 37F tomatoes won't budge.
On March 9th, I will make a decision based on 15 days forecast then. That forecast will take us almost down to our LFD.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 24, 2017   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm about ready to plant okra.
It my take the heat but thrives in cooler temps much better.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I'm about ready to plant okra.
It my take the heat but thrives in cooler temps much better.

Worth
I love okra
You're plant okra, Worth ? that is like summer
Okra will be the last thing that I think I should be planting . Maybe along wit bean. !!

BTW: No more Clemson Spineless . I've got other varieties, for heavens sake.

Happy Gardening !