Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 28, 2017   #16
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Nematode we went to Ocean Lakes last fall the day when they opened back up after Hurricane Matthew had hit. Yes, it done some damage. The big damage from the storm though came from the inland rivers flooding we saw on our way home the end of that week. I'm aware of the changes at Huntington Beach. Matthew was a walk in the park compared to the monster that destroyed when Hugo roared ashore when I was a child in the 5th grade. The last link you sent seems interesting! Thanks! I've always wanted to visit the Cape Cod area....
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #17
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

Great pics! I love camping and have camped in many places. Acadia National Park in Maine was amazing. Ok, that's it - next year I'm camping!
Old June 29, 2017   #18
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I so miss our family camping trips! I'm glad to see some of you out sharing the outdoors with you kids.

We started off tent camping as a cheap vacation option when our son was young, and then progressed to backpacking when he got a little older. We had a ball and saw so many sites in both the Whites and along stretches of the Appalachian Trail in VA that can only be seen if your willing to strap a pack on your back and walk away from civilization for at least six or seven days.

We had to give up all hiking when my husband's knees could no longer take the strain, but we have so many great memories of the time the three of us spent out in "the wilderness" together. Now that he has two new knees he's able to hike again and we dream of being able to camp out in the back country in the southwest someday.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #19
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

An old friend of my husband's not only invited us but paid for the rental fees for us to come up to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area campground and stay the weekend before last. Yes, we'll go back. I thought my eardrums were going to burst at the squeals that Saturday morning when he asked the kids what did they think about spending the day at Dollywood? The campground was clean and quiet to be as busy as it was.

Then last Tuesday my husband and I left on our honeymoon trip to Yellowstone. Oh my! I'll call it another bucket list trip! Wow! Just wow! The only bad things I have to say are I missed my kids and home and I felt incredibly guilty when my best friend insisted we didn't come home after the grandmother who raised her passed away while we were there. So last night after supper and bedtime reading I went and spent a couple of hours with her. 2 hours after I got home I got called and asked to come to work. I should sleep well tonight!
Old July 19, 2017   #20
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

My favorite would have to be the place I have been going to for literally the last 40 years. It is Port Crescent State Park in the thumb of Michigan. 4 miles of sandy beaches along the fairly shallow Saginaw Bay off from Lake Huron, so warm summer fresh water. Killer sunsets. Usually fairly moderate temperatures. It is very hard to get reservations during the local festival times for 2 weeks in August, otherwise not too bad.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #21
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

View from Port Crescent. Forgot to include in post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evening-campfire.jpg (73.3 KB, 142 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant stand oceans or large lakes I like rivers.
The constant wave action drives me nuts.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #23
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I'm sorry you feel that way about oceans and lakes. Pretty much if it's a body of water I'm pleased to be there. I love to hear the ocean waves roll in and out.

Last week end we went to Pirate Land @ Myrtle Beach. We enjoyed it, but last week most of South Carolina had blistering hot temperatures. We didn't do as much as we usually do when we go to the beach.
Old July 28, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Worth, I'm sorry you feel that way about oceans and lakes. Pretty much if it's a body of water I'm pleased to be there. I love to hear the ocean waves roll in and out.

Last week end we went to Pirate Land @ Myrtle Beach. We enjoyed it, but last week most of South Carolina had blistering hot temperatures. We didn't do as much as we usually do when we go to the beach.
Don't feel bad for me it is just that I was raised up fishing hunting and camping away from all humanity in small streams, rivers and forests.
Our lakes here are nothing but a power boat sewer on the weekends.
Rivers the same.
You cant find a secluded spot to save your life.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #25
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Our Favorite Campground

Our favorite campground is Watauga Dam Elizabethon, TN. Right on the water, kayaking, trout fishing and beautiful scenery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160810_173023_1501638653398_resized.jpg (396.2 KB, 91 views)
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #26
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Despite my best intentions it seems I'm always posting long afterwards the camping trips this year. It has definitely been a year of changes for me. A husband, another degree, serious illness in my family.

It's also been an interesting year garden wise. We've irrigated little. We've had a lot of rain. So when the rain stops and the garden beds dry out in we go to harvest weed, prune, thin, etc...

The first wkend of August we left that Saturday for Devils Fork State Park as the first wkend here in SC is always a tax free wkend for back to school preparation. We enjoyed Devils Fork but my, oh my, was it busy! We had been warned prior that it would be though. Then last wkend we went to Calhoun Falls State Park. Yes, we'll go back. We enjoyed it almost as much as Givhans Ferry State Park.
Old August 26, 2017   #27
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Upcountrygirl, Lake Jocassee (Devil's Fork) is the most beautiful lake I've ever seen- and we've stayed in the tent loop there many times. Incredible place!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #28
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default KOA are the best bet for us.

At this writing I am in return transit back to Homestead with my three pups in tow.We stay at The site since pet friendly cabins,tent sites,Rv up to fifty amps etc.Each site is different in amenities.They are all over USA.INEXPENSIVE VERSUS THE 10 buc fees per animal,in those prison looking HJ,MOTEL HELL, ETC.
Old September 27, 2017   #29
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Aug. 31st saw us leaving for the farthest camping destination to date. We went to Panama City Beach, FL for the Gulf Coast Jam(a series of country music concerts). We stayed @ Raccoon River Campground. There was rain from the remnants of Hurricane Harvey and no one was able to get in the ocean due to the rip tides(that was something new my kids learned about). Overall we enjoyed it.

Labor Day saw my husband and I flying to CA for the Heirloom Expo. I really enjoyed it! I hope to take my kids next year if I can get the 2 oldest excused from school those days. The following Friday my husband and I flew to VA to meet the rest of the family for a wkend camping trip @ Misty Mountain Resort. We visited Monticello. That Sunday was Grandparents Day. Gigi had never been to Monticello and wanted to see it. Everyone enjoyed that as well. We came home Sunday and prepared, well for us, tropical storm Irma. She took out my clothesline by way of a dead pine tree and she also took out a huge pine in my back yard area. We have the clothesline back up and the trees disposed of.
Old October 28, 2017   #30
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

The first week of October we went with a family friend to Manteo, NC for vacation. We stayed at a B&B near there. The Outer Banks Bluegrass festival was the last half of the week. The adults enjoyed it. We also toured the Elizabeth II with the kids. That was very educational for all. We all enjoyed it. I want to go back during the summer when the do the play on the Lost Colony.

Oct. 13th saw us leaving for the North Georgia Air Show. We enjoyed the show but once again we stayed with a friend who lived about 45 miles away so we could see the meteor shower. 2 trips with the 5th wheel planned for next month.