Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2017   #31
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Innovative tomato breeder Kanti Rawal stopped by the farm today. Here is an excerpt from the book "Ripe" which is where I first learned about him.

He is a gem of a man. I am trialing a bunch of his lines, and two of them are no less than spectacular.

I mention this here, because we had a discussion about short (or no) stake tomatoes. Good times.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #32
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

The Golden Honeybunch F1 variety mentioned looks as if it's difficult to procure seeds...... Was that one of the "spectacular" ones? Looks as if it's really early!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #33
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

He has worked on early. I think that one is available here.

The ones I am trialing are OP breeding lines. Not released. Things he had been working on when he retired.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #34
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I checked that site. It's Canadian even! However, they are out of stock

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017   #35
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Occasionally I grow a tomato plant from the nursery, which is how I discovered Ace. The plant is fairly compact and produces unblemished fruit with a good flavor ( if you like sweet tomatoes). It's a surprise every time I grow it, because I don't expect much and it exceeds expectations. It doesn't have the complex flavor of top heirlooms, but every time I grow it, somehow it turns out to taste better than half the other varieties each year.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Someone suggested I checkout Sandhill Preservation,which I did, and will get back to you on that when I can.

What happened is that there was a huge update for my browser, towhatIknew asAOL to AOL to AOL GOLD, big problem,my local computer expert and long time friend did that for me b'c I took a quick look at downloading and installing and no way could I do that.

All was not well and Wayne had to come up here and figure it out.

At the same time I got back some standard blood test reports that indicated I might have a serious medical problem,yes, I would call stroke or heart attack as serious problems.

jackie was here this AM taking even more blood for followup.

So that's my story as to why I couldn't get back to you as soon as I hoped to, actually today is the first time that I have been here by myself,not with Wayne standing by,and yes,I'm sticking to that story mainly b/c it is true.

Carolyn
Old September 29, 2017   #37
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to know of your health issues. Best wishes for a speedy and optimum outcome.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #38
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn In my humble opinion, computer problems are the leading cause of stroke and heart attacks! Be well.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #39
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

If you're thinking of breeding for this, I've been growing out some of my striped antho lines crossed with Mountain Merit but I've only kept ones with the phenotype I was interested in. I really like the fact that I really don't have to do much with them, a lot less work than the indeterminate lines. You can see the size difference in this picture, they maxed out at about 3 1/2 ft here, while the indeterminates outgrew the stakes.

Fruit quality from the lines have been pretty good. They tend to spread a bit as the fruit gets heavy though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=41da5e6c3d
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Carolyn In my humble opinion, computer problems are the leading cause of stroke and heart attacks! Be well.
Well it wasn't a computer problem until Wayne downloaded and installed that update, the info that was given is that we had 40 days to do it, and then BANG,nada.

But yes, Linda,unintended computer problems sure can bad ,I even revert to using words no one thought I ever knew and I can do it in English or French or Latin.

Carolyn
Old September 29, 2017   #41
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thinking of you, Carolyn... don't let the stress get to you, and I hope your next blood test clears you of anything stroke or heart related. Eat a chocolate if not a tomato, and let everything else just melt away. Take a dang moment and just enjoy.... you deserve it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #42
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Well it wasn't a computer problem until Wayne downloaded and installed that update, the info that was given is that we had 40 days to do it, and then BANG,nada.

But yes, Linda,unintended computer problems sure can bad ,I even revert to using words no one thought I ever knew and I can do it in English or French or Latin.

Carolyn
Being able to swear in several languages may not solve the problem, but it sure can sound eloquent!

I worry about you, Carolyn.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #43
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Just seeing this thread. The variety most similar to Maglia Rosa I've grown is Siccagno di Valledolmo. It is grown sprawling and I grew it that way. It did well and produced heavily. It performed best in my GH, probably b/c it comes from a dry region. When I grew it outdoors it didn't do as well sprawling.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018   #44
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Fred, my best luck has been from segregating progeny derived from crosses between my elite breeding lines and commercial F1 hybrids. I was mostly fishing for disease resistance and improved fruit quality, but also found some very interesting short statured lines.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote