Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 17, 2013   #31
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Always interested in new things esp. with pictures.

How old were the shoots you used? I suspect that will have a great deal of influence on the success of petiole grafting. They look relatively mature.

I tried your no roots grafting and it worked well with superglue (only tried 1 and it worked perfectly) Superglue is a bit of a pain though. Clips look much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Yes that's what I did. The graft healed in 9 days which was very fast. I showed if few different variations in some of my earlier threads. All worked out great. I will upload some more pics later if your interested.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2013   #32
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
If you grafted onto a petiole then I am a little surprised as well since I think the vasculature is quite different between those organs. Although, petioles can undergo secondary growth in which the vasculature changes.
Yep that's right, she grafted on a leaf petiole.... and it worked! I had to eat crow because of it too. Never again will I doubt Delerium. Still picking those nasty crow feathers out of my teeth!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; August 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2013   #33
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

I grew NAR a few years ago and, as I recall, it produced very late, I only got a few tomatoes off of it, and the taste didn't really stand out for me. However it wasn't a good tomato year for me and I've read so many good things about it that I've decided to give it another try. Same with Paul Robeson. AGP has always been a favorite and this past season was one of the few times I haven't grown it. Same with Marvel Stripe. I'm giving it a try this fall to (hopefully) compare with Hillbilly and Lucky Cross - still going strong in the garden.

Haven't had any good grafts yet this late summer as I've been doing some major experimenting using the nebulizer for humidity and larger plants than I'm used to. Am about to try grafting some seedlings that I have duplicates of onto the 105 rootstock - going back to the old tried and true methods from last winter-spring.

Haven't posted photos of the new beds yet as it's still a work in progress and it's taken MUCH longer than I expected - mainly because I didn't buy enough aluminet shade cloth and I've been having quite a time piecing things together to get full shade coverage. I'm simultaneously working on pruning and yanking existing plants, doing some lower and lean to make more room for cuttings and new seedlings etc. And I'm restringing all the trellising with baling twine as my old poly twine is rotting away. So things are sort of a mess at the moment, but, just for you , I'm enclosing a couple of photos of things so far. I added more aluminet shade and moved the coolaroo type shade cloth to another bed..... Not a whole lot of tomato production recently but still have about 10 or so to harvest daily and things are starting to blossom again.

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New bed overview 1 - 8-8-13.jpg (642.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg New bed overview 2 - 8-18-13.jpg (564.0 KB, 294 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #34
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Delerium,

I grew NAR a few years ago and, as I recall, it produced very late, I only got a few tomatoes off of it, and the taste didn't really stand out for me. However it wasn't a good tomato year for me and I've read so many good things about it that I've decided to give it another try. Same with Paul Robeson. AGP has always been a favorite and this past season was one of the few times I haven't grown it. Same with Marvel Stripe. I'm giving it a try this fall to (hopefully) compare with Hillbilly and Lucky Cross - still going strong in the garden.

Haven't had any good grafts yet this late summer as I've been doing some major experimenting using the nebulizer for humidity and larger plants than I'm used to. Am about to try grafting some seedlings that I have duplicates of onto the 105 rootstock - going back to the old tried and true methods from last winter-spring.

Haven't posted photos of the new beds yet as it's still a work in progress and it's taken MUCH longer than I expected - mainly because I didn't buy enough aluminet shade cloth and I've been having quite a time piecing things together to get full shade coverage. I'm simultaneously working on pruning and yanking existing plants, doing some lower and lean to make more room for cuttings and new seedlings etc. And I'm restringing all the trellising with baling twine as my old poly twine is rotting away. So things are sort of a mess at the moment, but, just for you , I'm enclosing a couple of photos of things so far. I added more aluminet shade and moved the coolaroo type shade cloth to another bed..... Not a whole lot of tomato production recently but still have about 10 or so to harvest daily and things are starting to blossom again.

Anne
Your setup is very nice Anne. Never heard of Aluminet shade - i will have to check it out.. It's been a brutal hot week this week but the grafted plants are standing up to the heat and producing very nicely. Next week we drop back under 90's which i hope will help with tomato set. Here is some tomatoes setting on my fall grafts.

First Pic - Beaufort Graft
2nd Pic - Maxifort F1 fruit (very tiny cherry like tomatoes)
3rd Pic - Macro Bin Tomato Grafts - Day 59
4th Pic - Tomato Graft test bed

I am pretty happy with how the Fall Crop is turning out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fall_crop.jpg (502.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg maxifort_tomatoes.jpg (204.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg day 59.jpg (582.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg tomato_grafts_bed.jpg (641.0 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg graft_tomatoes1.jpg (89.9 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg graft_tomatoes2.jpg (81.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg graft_tomatoes3.jpg (53.9 KB, 286 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #35
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Well, you SHOULD be proud of your fall crop - everything looks really great! Were those all regular grafts or no root grafts (or a combo)?

I've started grafts now on all 8 of the RST 04-105-T rootstock seedlings I had. I used 1.5 mm silicon clips - sort of nice to be working on a small size again. I've got 4 of my fairly new seedlings on the 105. Unfortunately, I somehow ended up with 5 seedling cups with each one having a seedling stem with the scion portion removed!!! I guess I must have inadvertently cut a scion, set it aside and forgot about it - so cut a new one. I hate when that happens!!! Today, I grafted the other 4 with my larger seedlings (NAR, AGP, Marvel Stripe, and Paul Robeson).

I was thinking about your branch grafting and how it was sort of acting like a human stem cell in some ways. (Although I don't know enough about the subject to elaborate - just sort of an intuition about cells changing functions).

Yeah, it's been really hot here too! I've been doing major pruning, plant removal, etc. to make way for my fall plants. I should have enough plants with blossoms still in the garden to keep us supplied with fruit until the new plants start producing. I'm hoping that the plants will grow faster in the warmer weather than they did in the early spring.

Oh, did you ever try your hand at cross-pollinating?

Anne

PS (Sorry for straying so off topic!).
Old August 21, 2013   #36
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Delerium,

Well, you SHOULD be proud of your fall crop - everything looks really great! Were those all regular grafts or no root grafts (or a combo)?

I've started grafts now on all 8 of the RST 04-105-T rootstock seedlings I had. I used 1.5 mm silicon clips - sort of nice to be working on a small size again. I've got 4 of my fairly new seedlings on the 105. Unfortunately, I somehow ended up with 5 seedling cups with each one having a seedling stem with the scion portion removed!!! I guess I must have inadvertently cut a scion, set it aside and forgot about it - so cut a new one. I hate when that happens!!! Today, I grafted the other 4 with my larger seedlings (NAR, AGP, Marvel Stripe, and Paul Robeson).

I was thinking about your branch grafting and how it was sort of acting like a human stem cell in some ways. (Although I don't know enough about the subject to elaborate - just sort of an intuition about cells changing functions).

Yeah, it's been really hot here too! I've been doing major pruning, plant removal, etc. to make way for my fall plants. I should have enough plants with blossoms still in the garden to keep us supplied with fruit until the new plants start producing. I'm hoping that the plants will grow faster in the warmer weather than they did in the early spring.

Oh, did you ever try your hand at cross-pollinating?

Anne

PS (Sorry for straying so off topic!).

Anne yes these were all no roots (branch lol) leaf petiole grafts. They all recovered remarkably fast within 9 days. The petiole grafting idea was just a fluke - just figured it would be less stressful than top grafting. Did not realize at the time that petioles have a differentiated cell structure like redbaron pointed at the time. Still no signs of Abscission - it should of happened by now i think? The Beaufort petiole dual graft with that monster flower cluster has really impressed me and I am thinking of doing more versions of that type of graft. The stems are really thick its so cool.

Anne did your multiple fruit plant yet produce yet? I'd love to see what yours looks like.
Old August 26, 2013   #37
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Playing with grafting before i really get back in to it again. Using a Piezoelectric Transducer Humidifier this time to generate the humidity instead of bottom heat. This keeps the temps in the humidity chamber cool instead of to warm. Hopefully in 10 days i will know for sure if this worked or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grafting_experiments.jpg (129.0 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg tomato_starts.jpg (305.9 KB, 285 views)
Old September 9, 2013   #38
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

I haven't been posting much recently as I've spent most of the past week FINALLY doing some house cleaning, etc. to get ready for some out of town guests. The house has really taken a back seat to the garden for quite some time now, so the house cleaning was a MAJOR project!

Anyway, that's now in the past and I'm figuring that 10 days may have passed now since your last post and I'm dying to know how your piezoelectric transducer humidifier worked out! I have been following your new pepper grafting post (congrats with that!!), and noticed lots of water droplets on the side of your healing chamber. Was that a result of spraying/misting or your humidifier?

Inquiring minds want to know !

Anne
Old September 10, 2013   #39
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Works absolutely wonderful. I think the plants really like cooler finer mist than the hot muggy humidity i was working with earlier with bottom heating. The plants don't show much stress and i do allow plenty of airflow even on the first few days to speed up the recovery process. Been adding other things like Aquarium pumps and air stones in the humidity chamber since I am using Diatomite as my grafting medium.

Here is a little update on some of my Fall tomato grafts which are all producing tomatoes. The first (minute) to 6 min of the video is all the tomato grafting i did this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...yS-c7RNHPw#t=0

P.S No i am not doing any misting.
Old September 10, 2013   #40
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Great video! Great looking plants and your little girl is EXTREMELY CUTE!

That's really cool about the PTHumidifier working so well. I'd love to know more about how it's made as well as how you're using your other new "equipment" - airstone, pump, etc.

In a thread I did a while back on CO2 and Oxygen use by plants in a greenhouse, I showed some photos of a medical nebulizer I'd set up for cool misting. It put out a great mist, but the plants seemed to either not like it or not be affected by it, so I stopped using it. (The grafts didn't take, although it could have been for any number of reasons). I was concerned that I might have been overmisting or introducing too much O2 into the chamber. After reading about your success, I'm trying the nebulizer again with my new batch of grafts, but leaving the chamber cracked open some during the misting. I would be interested in trying your PTHumidifier if it's not too expensive to put together.

Looking back at your post a few back, I see you asked about my multifruit graft. I did post a few photos of my eggplant/kbx graft in the photos of grafted plants thread.

Hope to post some photos of my new fall garden set up (with plants in place) later today.

Anne
Old September 10, 2013   #41
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Because its using an Atomizer the mist is sooo fine that its perfect for the plants. yes i think its critical for the success of the grafts to get air flow. I stress my plants a bit that way just so the transition over to no cover is much easier otherwise its another few days to get the plants adjusted to less humidity. I am by no means an expert at this and I don't really have the scientific background like the rest of you - but I sure wish i did.. I do learn quickly from trial and error. But I am more than happy to share what I learn as i do all this grafting work.

The Ultrasonic Atomizing Transducer is cheap it was only 8 bucks. I have it on a timer where i let it run for 5 hrs let it.. take a break. Observe the plants if it looks like it needs a misting i will run it again for 5 hrs.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Delerium; September 10, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old September 10, 2013   #42
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Yes, that does help. Thanks! BTW, I'm not a scientist either.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I was getting some photos of my fall tomato beds ready to post and came across a couple photos of my triple (or "quadruple"?) grafts I did yesterday.

I used your no-root technique. One is on a grandeur stem section with 1 or 2 grandeur branches left on and grafts of nora pepper and ping-tung eggplant, with a carbon graft at the top. The other is goose creek as a rootstock (with a branch or two left on) and grafts of marvel stripe, vorlon, and purple dog creek.

Fingers crossed!!

Anne
Old September 10, 2013   #43
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Here is some grafts coming out of the healing chamber. I did 9 grafted plants - these 4 seemed to be fine when i leave them outside the recovery chamber. The other 5 grafts are fine but still show signs of wilt if they are out of the box to long so they went right back in.

The scions i used were thinned plants that i did not feel like discarding figured it was better used to get some more practice. What i did was just root them again in DE so i can just just chop the tops off and regrow suckers if i need more samples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thinning.jpg (424.9 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg thinned.jpg (98.6 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg grafts.jpg (201.7 KB, 285 views)
Old October 16, 2013   #44
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Small update. Been playing around with grafting again. So far i have about 40 grafts with different combinations. Most of these grafts are outdoors now getting some sunlight as they get a little larger i will graft on to these again for fun. For next year most of my tomato plants will be grafted with 4 varieties. It's going to be fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grafts.jpg (79.2 KB, 279 views)
Old October 29, 2013   #45
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

I may have missed it, where are you all getting the little clips I may try this! TIA
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote