Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old June 18, 2008   #1
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default starting old bean seeds

Hi guys. I have a great chance to grow seeds in a neighbor's garden. They are in their 80s and just don't feel like growing anything this year. I have lots of old seeds. All kinds. I really want to start some beans, pole and bush. Oldest I would even play with would be from year 2000. The plot gets better sun than mine, is well weeded, gets organic matter plowed in yearly.

I am even using my water, so they don't feel like they are wasting anything. Do I have much of a chance to get plants? It has been abnormally cool here. Highs in the low 70s. It has broken 80 and even 90 once, but I had not planted seeds yet. They have only been in the ground for a few days.

I have also put in some old chard seed and beet seed. Nothing sprouted yet and nothing older than year 2000. Got some melon seed started in my back yard that I hope to put in their space. Now if it only warms up. Thanks for any information.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2008   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Seeds are so cheap. Dont use your seeds. Green beens or others for less than $3.00 for two pkgs would make them so happy. Beans are almost fool proof. Just plant them and run. Do something like this for them and you will be like a family member. Plant on a sunny fence line if you can. You will be rewarded.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2008   #3
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

"Do I have much of a chance to get plants?"
As long as the seeds have been well stored (or at least not abused) I think you have a good chance of getting plants. With cool weather and old seeds don't expect quick germination times. If you have plenty of seeds you might want to plant a little extra in case the germination rate is down because of their age. You thin them out if you get too many. Be sure and share the produce with your neighbors and keep them updated on the progress I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2008   #4
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

On June 16 seeded some 2002 saved seed for Dorabel, a yellow bush bean. I also had some purchased Dorabel seed from 2001. Since I wasn't expecting much from them, I planted very thickly. Nothing is showing yet with the 2001 seed, but I think every one of the 2002 seeds came up!

I agree with Randy--if the seed was properly stored you should get reasonable germination. I would plant thickly (what do you have to lose?).

Keep us posted.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2008   #5
macmex
Tomatovillian™

I've had bean seed completely expire in under four years. But I wondered if I hadn't inadvertently exposed it to heat. On the other hand, I still have a Metamucil bottle of Georgia Long Cowpea seed, given to me by my wife's grandpa, in 1996. I did a germination test on it last year (2007) and had 100% germination. You never know.

I totally agree with Randy about sharing with them. That's so nice of them to let you use the garden and, they will almost certainly treasure anything you share with them.

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote