Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 11, 2018   #1
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Default Will 200 ct plug tray fit in 1020 tray??

The manufacturer info lists size as 21.25 x 11 BUT I see that the top dimension looks wider than the base, so I am wondering if these plugtrays will fit in the 1020 tray??

If not, can another tray be suggested as I MUST have a tray under my plug trays.
Or suggest a different plug tray...

THank you.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...k/plug-flats_1
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you scroll down on the page, it says (in bold letters) that they will not fit a 1020 tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

These are a bit more pricey but they should work for you. Bottom internal dimensions measure 21.125"L x 14"W.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts
The bottom dimension of those plug flats certainly look smaller than a 1020, but if they say they do not fit, you have to go by that unless you can find a flat and try it out yourself before you buy.

Last edited by rhines81; February 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: 1020 Trays have a bottom ID of 20"L x 9.625"W
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #4
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
If you scroll down on the page, it says (in bold letters) that they will not fit a 1020 tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I saw that. But the info seemed incomplete as the design looks wider at the top and narrower at the base. If the measurement is the top, then the plugs are likely to fit in a 1020, If you see what I mean...
Old February 11, 2018   #5
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
These are a bit more pricey but they should work for you. Bottom internal dimensions measure 21.125"L x 14"W.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts
The bottom dimension of those plug flats certainly look smaller than a 1020, but if they say they do not fit, you have to go by that unless you can find a flat and try it out yourself before you buy.
I think the company gave a pat answer and have notchecked thefit of these two items, so erred on the side of saying they dont fit. It may be they dont fit. I would like to be more certain.

Wrote down info on the tray you suggested. It is a nice sturdy tray.
Old February 11, 2018   #6
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

These look promising.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ation-sheets/s

Comments?
Old February 11, 2018   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Yes, I saw that. But the info seemed incomplete as the design looks wider at the top and narrower at the base. If the measurement is the top, then the plugs are likely to fit in a 1020, If you see what I mean...

I do see, but I'm guessing they added the "disclaimer" in bold as people have probably discovered they don't fit after ordering them thinking that they would.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
I'd go with that in a 98. It'll take up twice the room as the 200 plug tray, but at least you can use standard 1020s.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

there are two different types of trays.... "TRUE series" 1020's and standard 1020's (actually 10½x21). if it says true then no the plug trays will not fit in a webbed tray. then there are several different brands. I have T.O. plastics brand and Dillen brand, I think. light weight and heavy weight. I don't buy heavy weight as they are a brittle plastic and break. lightweights are webbed. one of them (the brand with the finer mesh web) fits the plug trays better than the larger weave web. I don't know which brand is which. I then cut the top edge off the " large webbed" tray to hold the plug trays for the support if I need them for the plug trays..
Old February 12, 2018   #10
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I do see, but I'm guessing they added the "disclaimer" in bold as people have probably discovered they don't fit after ordering them thinking that they would.
As that is possible true also, I kept looking. NOt an easy site to search but I kept at it and found other products that fit. YEah!

Thank you for your input and helping me find the right product!
Old February 12, 2018   #11
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I'd go with that in a 98. It'll take up twice the room as the 200 plug tray, but at least you can use standard 1020s.
Trade offs.

My goal is all items fit together to simplify the growing process; grow more in a smaller space and use less of my time..

Getting there.
Old February 12, 2018   #12
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
there are two different types of trays.... "TRUE series" 1020's and standard 1020's (actually 10½x21). if it says true then no the plug trays will not fit in a webbed tray. then there are several different brands. I have T.O. plastics brand and Dillen brand, I think. light weight and heavy weight. I don't buy heavy weight as they are a brittle plastic and break. lightweights are webbed. one of them (the brand with the finer mesh web) fits the plug trays better than the larger weave web. I don't know which brand is which. I then cut the top edge off the " large webbed" tray to hold the plug trays for the support if I need them for the plug trays..
THank you. I will be very careful to double check the fit of each product BEFORE purchase.
Old February 12, 2018   #13
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Stopped at the local discount store that has oodles of odds and ends for gardening.

Purchased one small greenhouse, to fit inside the 5 x 5 a the far end. $20

Purchased a wire storage wrack with 250# allowed weight per shelf, and fits 3 trays. $39

Bought 9 trays ( tray, 4 x 9 hole insert and dome and soil) $5 ea

Bought sunflower seeds an marigold.

Miracle grow for tomatos . $6

Buying time as I dont want to make a costy mistake with the online order.