Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 31, 2015   #1
EscazuMike
Tomatovillian™

Default A ribbed cherry crossed with Joe's Oxheart and Indigo Rose

I've had a small tomato I've been growing for about 20 years plus, ribbed, crunchy. I believe Carolyn is going to distribute its seeds under the name of Selbo's Ribbed Red. Well at Carolyn's suggestion, I tried to cross it to other varieties last year and I had a Joe's Pink Oxheart and an Indigo Rose growing in 2014 that I used as pollen parents and made the two crosses. This summer I grew out both (F1's) and got some interesting results. A crunchy round high producing cherry with occasional blue-ish shoulders from the cross with Indigo Rose, and a larger slightly ribbed heart shaped small fruited variety from the cross with Joe's Pink Oxheart, also crunchy, both with great flavor. The second was bigger than my Ribbed Red, but no where near the size of the Pink Oxheart. More productive than Joe's Pink for me, but much less so than my original plant. Looking forward to seeing what develops in the F2 generation. I have a few of the cross with Indigo Rose growing out in the So California Fall, one has a ribbed round cherry sized fruit, the other has nippled cherry like fruit, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

I've attached two pictures of clusters of my original ribbed tomato, and then a picture of my hand with the two crosses and myoriginal tomato, and a plateful of the three tomatoes.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04970 (Copy) (Copy).JPG (226.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04971 (Copy) (Copy).JPG (244.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2657 (Copy) (Copy).JPG (193.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2661 (Copy) (Copy) (Copy).JPG (124.0 KB, 118 views)
EscazuMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes Mike, I certainly am going to list your ribbed cherry in my next seed offer here, thanks to you for original seeds that I then distributed to I think 4 seed producers. And as you already know it's shy on seeds.

My next seed offer here now much delayed, should have seeds from 2013, 14 and 15, and hopefully posted in early january,but still trying to figure out the mechanics since someone new is taking over most of it, that's Shawn in VT, but I'll still be responsible for IDing varieties new to all or most.

I LOVE what you are doing with your crosses and be sure to keep us updated as you go forward with selections in the F2, etc.

Carolyn
Old October 31, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Love the look of those, really unique!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

If you could get a small ribbed cherry with the purple markings, and good taste, wow. Be a beauty.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #5
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you'll have some exciting developments in your next few years' gardens, Mike!

They all look great -- though I suspect I'll always have a preference for your original.

But just because it is productive, tasty, and very different from most tomatoes, you seem likely to see all sorts of unique tomatoes appearing as you grow out your crosses.

It's wonderful for you to let us see what may be the beginning of a whole new type of tomatoes.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Looks like you'll have some exciting developments in your next few years' gardens, Mike!

They all look great -- though I suspect I'll always have a preference for your original.

But just because it is productive, tasty, and very different from most tomatoes, you seem likely to see all sorts of unique tomatoes appearing as you grow out your crosses.

It's wonderful for you to let us see what may be the beginning of a whole new type of tomatoes.
It took ne a while to find the e-mails that indicated who I sent Mike's seeds to, yes, JLJ was one, pattyb was another and askelar was the third.

One picture I won't forget was JLJ's picture of a blanket or what ever, covering his plants on top of which was one heck of a lot of snow.

JLJ, do you remember that photo?

Carolyn
Old October 31, 2015   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

looks like someone sucked some air out of those tomatoes.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote