Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Prue - Tasting Notes

Hi,
Hope I'm not taking too many liberties. Now, to Prue...

This is a funny plant. Prue starts as though it's sickly, worse than even a typical heart, then after plant out it slowly advances, with heart-like wispy foliage. Suddenly, when you turn your back, it's off like a bride's nightie (sorry about that) .

A bomb-shaped tomato, with a few other shapes like hearts as well, it's a very good fruit-setter in heat, better than a lot of plants. This aspect was a very pleasant and welcome surprise.

The fruit is fire-engine red, dense and heavy, rewardingly juicy. In the taste spectrum, it's sweet but with length. It's actually alot like Ernesto — I'm not sure what category these kind of tomatoes are but let's just call 'em slicers — however, I must say that Prue, on a head-to-head comparo like that which I just staged, wins by about 0.5pts-0.75pts/10pts.

In short, Prue is a terrific tomato. I have two growing and I will make sure I have at least one next year. It's the kind of tomato you would give your mother. Not that tomatoey, but sweet and moreish. A slicer for toast, crackers, needing nothing more.

I rarely take pics of slices. But I managed to pull this off before lunch today

All the best, Grub.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #2
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

That is one meaty son of a gun. yee haah. Enjoy.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the comments. I'll tell ya, my 4 week old seedlings of Prue looked so pathetic and scraggly, I went ahead and potted them up to quart pots at that point just so I could basically bury the entire plant. 8)

Those slices look lovely. Looking forward to slicing up a Prue for myself.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

How many plants, and how many different varieties are you planting this year? Are you starting seeds in your house?

Don
Old February 19, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I say Grub, are you going to do a thread per variety?

I agree with the plant traits and growing habit of Prue, but let me tell you, those fruits had a taste that I had not tasted before, and I liked it very much.

The newer one Matt D' Imperio that I got from Matt is quite similar and I like that one as well.

Currently I've got it listed at SSE only, but Glenn has it listed in his 2006 Sandhill catalog, and if I decide to not continue listing stuff in the SSE Yearbook there's a possibility I might offer a few seeds here, if I have some left. It wasn't among the new ones I offered at GW last winter b'c I needed all the seeds I had for my SSE listing.

But so far, even though I lowered the request price for both US and non-US SSE members from that which SSE suggests, I haven't seen that many requests for the varieties I'm listing.

Since I don't see how I can even grow plants for new stock I may just stop being a listed member, or maybe offer just one.

This all depends on what my future mobility might be and right now it's not looking good as regards any gardening efforts.
Old February 19, 2006   #6
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Prue - Tasting Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
The fruit is fire-engine red, dense and heavy, rewardingly juicy. In the taste spectrum, it's sweet but with length....

... It's the kind of tomato you would give your mother. Not that tomatoey, but sweet and moreish.
Prue is one of only two tomatoes I've ever tried (the other is Sheboygan) which has the taste I'd identify as "umami" (savory). Prue is sweeter than Sheboygan.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #7
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,
Glad to hear your voice. Start a thread per variety? Great idea! There are some I'm growing this year for the first time that I'm very excited about. I can't hold back Can you tell?

This morning I had a Dr Neal for breakfast, first for the year, second time back in the patch. It tasted great and reaffirmed my view that this one has a fuller flavour than some other pinks. Awfully big RL plant. A stake puller.

Quote:
The newer one Matt D' Imperio that I got from Matt is quite similar and I like that one as well.
Does this imply that Matt supplied Prue? I thought Prue came from Tom, who I hope sees this report? When you are able I would very much like to acccess some MDI, if that is at all possible.

Even if you are unable to grow maters I hope I can regale you through these posts. Least I can do, as many of the finest tomatoes I am growing come from you. Grow 'em by proxy

I didn't get that savory nuance, Greenthumb, but I will be looking for as much in future fruits. It's was just an excellent taste, with more depth to it than other sweet ones.

Some compatriots at last year's Aussie tomato tasting, which I didn't attend, said the taste of Prue had real length and lingered in a special way. So I very much look forward to trying many more
Old February 19, 2006   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Grub,

Tom Galluci is the originator for Prue while Matt D'Imperio is from a different person.

If I'm able to offer seeds next late Fall and still have some Matt D'Imperio seeds you'll have a shot at them as well.

It all depends on what seeds I have left from my SSE offerings and whether or not I elect to offer them again, and where I'm at with walkers and whatever, b'c I don't think I'll be able to do much this summer, although right now that isn't even clear even though I have IDed someone who would help.

It means starting seeds in late March and I just don't know about surgery at this point in time.

When I do know, sometime after Mar 2 when I see the neurosurgeon, I'll post in the thread in the Conversations area where someone started a thread about my health, or whatever.
Old February 19, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Got It

Thanks Carolyn,

I do hope it works out for you and you are one strong lady to drop all that weight and, if I'm right, give-up the smokes.

I'd love to bust into your seed collection. Lol. If you had to hazard a guess how many varieties would you have in there?

I also reckon I could rig-up a conveyance so you could get to the patch. Like a ride-on with a tray in the back and a long-handled tomato picker with a net on the bottom, that you could rap over the knuckles of anyone who helped themselves. And auto watering.
Old February 24, 2006   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

grub,

i got your email tonight when i checked for new mail.

i just joined, this looks like a far superior site to the gw forums. i did a search on prue and i'm reading thru all the posts.

nice picture, oh you are killing me, it'll be 5-6 months before i see that on MY plate!

nice review, i am glad you are enjoying prue. spread it around, there's nowhere on earth farther from here than there, what a pleasure to know that prue is now down under. well to set the record straight patrina grew prue last season but hey... enjoy!

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #11
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default A Beauty

I love Prue, Tom.

It's a real beauty. I waited a year after receiving your seeds to grow it out. It's surprisingly good in the heat and humidity.

Thanks, Grub
Old February 25, 2006   #12
bully
Tomatovillian™

If turned this tomato just a bit you would see the shape a little better, it appears rounder than it is.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #13
melody
Tomatovillian™

This is one that I'm contemplating this season, and I'm glad to see the feedback on it. I haven't settled on which heart types I'm going to try and have never grown Prue.

Loved the slices on the plate! They look like they even have a great aroma.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006   #14
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Prue--tasting notes

Have to jump in here with my two cents on Prue. Prue is a most excellent tomato for me. The plants look pathetic, but they pumped out tasty tomatoes all season long--took our mid-summer heat in stride. The flavor is distinctive--nuanced, excellent balance, good aftertaste. Thanks, Tom, for getting the seeds in circulation. Prue will always have a place in the garden here. And Grub, the photo! My mouth is watering!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #15
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I dug out this old thread as I wanted to report to you how Prue did in South Florida (season ended around May). Sorry about the lengthy delay before reporting.

It was very, very good and I really appreciate you sending it to me. Unfortunately had problems with the weather and it was destroyed once and replanted (a bit late) so I suspect it will be even better next time. I will put it on my 'extreme' babying list (along with Earl's Faux). Not many toms make that list but I am sure it will be an excellent tomato if I can give it proper care and protection--looking forward to trying it again when our season starts again.

Thanks again.
farkee (Miss Cowpea)

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote