Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2018   #2386
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was the 21rst day of 100+ temperatures at DFW. That is more than normal for late July, but far from the record.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2018   #2387
bower
Tomatovillian™

Back to days of heat warnings here again. Not very comfortable for me, although I suppose it would be a relief for Texans.
Tomatoes were bursting in the hot and humid weather last week, but humidity has dropped off by a lot, it's really pretty dry and hotter than before... now the tomatoes are just not doing much. Some that were on the way to ripening are just not getting any darker, so it seems it is too hot for all that ripen biochem to happen. I guess when it's this hot, we all need a day off.
I was glad to get out to the shop and replenish my supply of PC 'Blonde Brew' that is a great non-alcoholic beer. A decent beer taste with enough hops in it, and just a 0.5% alcohol. I can't tell the taste from a real beer (and better than some brands I've had) and it's so refreshing in the heat. And only 50 cals per can... win/win!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2388
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I'm not used to long-term high temperatures (above 30 ° C). Yesterday morning, I collapsed in the garden without having to pour tomatoes. Today and tomorrow I will stay at home and on Sunday I will go to the races. Perhaps I will survive the heat. It should be "only" 32 ° C.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2389
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yikes, Vladimir! Take care, and thanks for the reminder...we really aren't used to this, and bad things can happen. I noticed myself, that just the lightest work in the garden is exhausting after a few minutes in this heat. It's better to let the garden go than take a risk with your health.
Old August 3, 2018   #2390
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I'm not used to long-term high temperatures (above 30 ° C). Yesterday morning, I collapsed in the garden without having to pour tomatoes. Today and tomorrow I will stay at home and on Sunday I will go to the races. Perhaps I will survive the heat. It should be "only" 32 ° C.
Vladimír
Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Yikes, Vladimir! Take care, and thanks for the reminder...we really aren't used to this, and bad things can happen. I noticed myself, that just the lightest work in the garden is exhausting after a few minutes in this heat. It's better to let the garden go than take a risk with your health.

That is bad Heat can affect you quickly and do serious, even fatal damages. Drink water before you are thirsty, and take time to cool yourself off.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2391
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Imp! For experienced advice.
I was pulling some bolted lettuce and brassicas earlier today.. the ground was crazy dry, even in the bed I've been watering. But this evening we had a wonderful bit of rain. Still showering and perhaps we'll get another heavy bit before it's done. Definitely welcomed!
Old August 3, 2018   #2392
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It has been day after day after day of rain here. It's the typical temp and mugginess for early August, 85f/ 85%RH or thereabouts, but the rain is exceptional. The tomatoes are taking it surprisingly well, though, and while there are some splits on the bottoms, it's not too bad at all in the raised rows. The first Big Beefs in that florida weave row were picked on 7/29, only a couple or three days ahead of my backyard garden cages of OR117 and Cherokee Purple weave. I thought OR117 was a much later tomato than Big Beef, but not this year.

The broccoli seemed to love this wet weather and grew into the walkways at my comm garden plot, but it was down to very small heads, so I cut that off yesterday. I needed to open that space to pick Okra in the next row, and to get the peas started. I put fall peas in place of the broccoli today; I'll have no worry about them germinating this time! It poured six tenths today while I was at the garden re-working those rows. The dog and I got soaked before jumping in the truck cab and waiting it out.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #2393
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I thank you all for your advice. I changed my eating regime. Mainly I modified the drinking regime. I drink regularly even though I'm not thirsty. In the sun I take my cap. Tomorrow at the races I will try it all. I will go to the garden on Monday mening. I only water tomatoes and go home.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #2394
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

https://www.bradenton.com/news/state...215839815.html
Dead fish, birds, manatees, even a whale shark. Toll from worst red tide in decade grows.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #2395
bower
Tomatovillian™

Everybody's talking about the record heat this summer... in the news they're calling it the new normal, or what we can expect to be normal not so far into the future.

That red tide looks horrible.
I'm told that the heat in eastern Canada is expected to continue to the end of August. It's a good bit hotter than normal for us here. We've had a few showers now and then, but at these temperatures the ground is dry again in no time.

I'm having to water the bolted lettuce, just to get a crop of seeds.
Old August 7, 2018   #2396
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to go above 30C here tomorrow. It is always hotter than forecast in the back of the yard where the tomatoes are. I only go out to check on them when it is that hot and do things in the morning and evening.
I see showers are to arrive in a couple of days. I hope so. Far too dry.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #2397
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm not used to rain being synonymous with damage. Any hard rain these days takes out roads and causes landslides. It didn't used to be this way.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #2398
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Not before those roads were there, that's for sure. Let those areas go back to nature and it won't happen again. Bankers wouldn't allow that though, since beavers as a rule don't keep up with their interest payments!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2018   #2399
bower
Tomatovillian™

We had two days of heat warning with haze this week, apparently it was from smoke from fires in Alberta and BC picked up by the jetstream. Saw footage of the haze in Burnaby and Kamloops on the news last night... OMG. It is worse than a dense fog - and fog of course is not bad for your lungs... it must be awful.

Our forecasters are failing badly to predict rain and how much. 2 mm was called for last night, and instead we had 22mm by midnight. And raining ever since. And 20 more possible tonight. And we could get another 60 mm on Sunday if the model is right. Classic garlic harvest season

The heat is about to flee though, tomorrow's high 13 C . Yes, after weeks of too hot, I suppose I'll find it chilly. I'll be closing the greenhouse tonight.
Old August 17, 2018   #2400
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

With only a couple of weeks left of winter its been a non winter really, had no Antarctic cold outbreaks all winter which is far from normal. I live well inland and snow would fall more than once every single winter, now it hasn't snowed for three years. My frost free growing period used to be around 100days twenty years ago, now its 150days. Climate change is taking off big time

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote