Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2016   #31
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I need to build a self fed hand held single purpose 2X4 ripping machine.

Now I have something else to keep me up at night.

Worth
Im glad im not the only one that lets those sorts of things keep me up at night.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #32
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

I transplanted the last of my tomato and eggplant seedlings into pots. Still too early to put any in the garden here. Even though it's warmer every year, our last average frost date is still towards the end of May. But I'm ready, when the rain calms down, to put my brassica in. They're hardening off. Happy to be gardening outside again!
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #33
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I need to build a self fed hand held single purpose 2X4 ripping machine.

Now I have something else to keep me up at night.

Worth
First off, you have a nice Table saw. I have one of those less expensive ones. I paid $99 for it , on sale years ago and does the job.

"self fed ... ripping machine " is that going to be an attachment to your TS ?
Sounds interesting. Ripping 8ft lumber is no fun if you don't have big tables on each side of TB.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
First off, you have a nice Table saw. I have one of those less expensive ones. I paid $99 for it , on sale years ago and does the job.

"self fed ... ripping machine " is that going to be an attachment to your TS ?
Sounds interesting. Ripping 8ft lumber is no fun if you don't have big tables on each side of TB.

Gardeneer
No it would be hand held with little feed rollers and a box like guide the 2x4 would go through and be spit out the other end.

Totally worthless invention.
But it wouldn't be the first time things have been invented that I feel are worthless.
Take the lock ring pliers for electrical conduit lock ring nuts.
Half the time they wont fit in the box to tighten the ring down.
Then there are the special tools you have to have because some stupid engineer put the bolt in a place you cant get to like the one on an old ford distributor.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #35
tnc070911
Tomatovillian™

Well yesterday I couldn't get on TV as I started at daybreak fencing in the garden. Not going to fight the deer this year....
tnc070911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #36
tnc070911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Today I am visiting my hubby who is rehab after having a stroke- life day to day is an emotional roller coaster, but we are determined to persevere and get back to our lives.
So sorry,hope he gets better soon....
tnc070911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #37
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Best wishes for both of you Jo, peace and love.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #38
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I spent an hour and half speed dialing the reservations desk for the Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon. Hiking the Grand Canyon has been on my Bucket List for a long time. We are fresh from a hike up Mt Leconte in the Smokies and really feel that it would be a good idea for us not to try the in-and-out-in-one-day hike, besides wanted to spend a little time seeing the canyon floor. Seems the only way to get a reservation is to call when the desk opens one the first day of the month for next year's reservation. I was not successful, only getting through to the main desk once and when I entered 1 for Phantom Ranch I got a busy signal. Later in the day, I actually spoke with someone who said that they get 100,000 hits that first hour and the accomodations are sold out in the first hour. Drat.

Then I went out to dinner with my son and family for an early Mother's Day as he had to work on Mother's Day. Very lovely.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #39
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Jo, my best wishes to you and your husband.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #40
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Added 200# of expanded shale to the soggiest 120 ft of rows, for July incorporation ,and enforced a "no 2 leafs can touch" rule
Old May 2, 2016   #41
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday, I finally got most of my tomatoes planted out (360 of 380-37 varieties). I worked on mulching rows using newspaper and straw. I also installed 6 more post used for trellising. I spent some additional time attaching cable at the bottom of the posts as some of my plants are getting tall enough to need support. I have had to work extra hard the past several weeks as I got two weeks behind when I got the shingles at the beginning of April��.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I spent an hour and half speed dialing the reservations desk for the Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon. Hiking the Grand Canyon has been on my Bucket List for a long time. We are fresh from a hike up Mt Leconte in the Smokies and really feel that it would be a good idea for us not to try the in-and-out-in-one-day hike, besides wanted to spend a little time seeing the canyon floor. Seems the only way to get a reservation is to call when the desk opens one the first day of the month for next year's reservation. I was not successful, only getting through to the main desk once and when I entered 1 for Phantom Ranch I got a busy signal. Later in the day, I actually spoke with someone who said that they get 100,000 hits that first hour and the accomodations are sold out in the first hour. Drat.

Then I went out to dinner with my son and family for an early Mother's Day as he had to work on Mother's Day. Very lovely.
I went there once back in the 80's thinking I could ride the donkeys into the canyon
I was told it was a 1 year waiting list.
I had no idea.
To think something as big as the Grand Canyon being sold out.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #43
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

We celebrated my older son's 3rd birthday yesterday. We tell him that all of the May Day parades are people all over the world celebrating his birthday.

In addition to firing up the smoker for his birthday meal, I also lit a small bonfire the night before. He loved it!

I awoke to 36F temperatures this morning so still too cold to plant out tomatoes. Last year, I planted out a Big Beef in honour of my son's 2nd birthday. He's growing a Sweet Seedless this year; little brother: a Tasti-Lee. Tomato plants did get to set out and catch a few rays before going back in for the evening. I might get a few tomatoes in the ground on my wife's birthday on 5/14/2016. Patio tomatoes are currently slated for 5/22/2016 plant out. I tell her I plant all of these tomatoes for her and the boys.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #44
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I spent the morning potting up the rest of my tomatoes -- all except for the experimental micro/mini varieties. Then my partner and I drove 40 miles to visit some friends. I had tickets for a garden tour there, so we all visited a couple gardens, and enjoyed the live music in one garden. i bought more native plants at one of the gardens, too. Next we all had dinner at a terrific vegan Mexican restaurant. Finally, we returned to our friends' house, visited the chickens, watched a John Oliver segment, chatted, and got home way too late.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote