Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2016   #31
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

This year I bought square-bottom 18oz Solo cups, they were pretty cheap, 60 in a bag. I know Donna said she has problems using scissors, but I have Carpal Tunnel in both hands and also Ulnar Tunnel in my right, and I have a very sharp old pair of Singer scissors and it's super easy snipping off 4 corners in like 10 seconds time, and with sharp scissors there's no pain & it cuts like butter! The square bottom cups "just about" fit 18 in a 1020 tray, they are a bit large and don't fit perfectly like sheet-pots, but they hold much more volume...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #32
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
They're not cheap, unless you live near a fraternity. I looked at some at my Kroger since I use them for labels, and IIRC they were about $3.50 for a pack of 20.
Hey Duck,
Go to a closeout store or the discount isle and look for a discounted mini blind (the plastic ones). I can find them for $3 here on the discount isle at Walfart. Cut the strings and then cut up each mini blind into ~6 inch lengths. Pencil writes well on the plastic and will not fade in the sun.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #33
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Pencil, eh? I didn't know that. Even permanent sharpies fade on the drink cup slices (except for the bit that's underground).

I've been lurking for discarded blinds here.

Say, is that a sensitive plant in your avatar? Are you claiming to be sensitive or something?
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #34
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've previously found out the hard way that sharpie fades in the sun. Pencil will last for several years.

Me, sensitive? Not really. That is partridge pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata) being munched on by a sulphur butterfly caterpillar. A seed head of wood oats are bent over in the picture, too. Growing native host plants is one of my things.

Edit: Hmm, apparently "sensitive plant" is another common name for C. fasciculata. That's what we get for using common names.

Last edited by kchd..; April 28, 2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old April 28, 2016   #35
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions. Methinks I will go with a drill. I have to check my bits to see what I have. I'm fairly certain, though, that I've tried the drill before and it didn't work (meaning the bit was the wrong size). I will ask a neighbor.

Thanks, again.

(It sucks getting old )

The funny thing is, I can shovel snow all day, but cannot pull a weed. It is the thumb and the grip that disables me every time.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #36
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
imp, you must have a LONG drill bit! lol - I only can stack 5 togethor coz that's the height of my drill bit.
I used a drill bit that I hand turned in the bottom.Also a sharp swiss army knife will work as well.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #37
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I use a Dremel drill for making holes, using the largest bit - aabout 1/4". I can only do 4 cups at a time.

Also, I drill the cups in a clean bucket, which cleans up much easier than having the plastic bits all over the carpet.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #38
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Donna, I'm glad you posted. I looked up the link that Uncle Doss posted and found some nursery pots that I think will work great. 50 for 3 cents each and no hassle with holes but they're only 4" tall. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-50-Pl...EAAOSwmmxW5uKV

I've been using 16OZ styro cup from the dollar store and I still have some from 3 years ago, I use a pecan cleaning tool to punch 3 holes at the bottom of the sides.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #39
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I use a cheap soldering iron at a low setting. There are no toxic fumes, as I am not soldering or burning plastic. I am using just enough heat to *melt* a smooth hole. If you are doing this and generating smoke and fumes, lower the temperature or don't do it indoors without ventilation.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #40
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Hey Donna,
I use a cordless dremel tool with a small drill bit. I make a stack of 5 cups (turned upside down) and let the weight of the dremel (which isn't much) punch holes through 5 cups at a time.
Old April 28, 2016   #41
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Donna, I'm glad you posted. I looked up the link that Uncle Doss posted and found some nursery pots that I think will work great. 50 for 3 cents each and no hassle with holes but they're only 4" tall. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-50-Pl...EAAOSwmmxW5uKV

I've been using 16OZ styro cup from the dollar store and I still have some from 3 years ago, I use a pecan cleaning tool to punch 3 holes at the bottom of the sides.
umm, I think you forgot a 0.
Old April 28, 2016   #42
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
I'm talking about those red 16 oz "party drink cups" - Solo - or maybe Hefty - Costco, etc.

The sturdy ones. I use them to pot up. Every year I have a hard time cutting drainage holes into them. They are, as they advertise, sturdy!

I have arthritis, and these are difficult to puncture. I've used knives and nails (both of which are dangerous), and STILL struggle.

What's your suggestion, please?

Donna
I use a drill.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #43
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doss View Post
umm, I think you forgot a 0.
I missed that, where's the calculation check when you need it?
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay folks I have been waiting and it hasn't came up yet.
A good old fashioned ice pick.
It has a fat handle and is sharp.
It can be held in a variety of ways so a persons hands or fingers wont hurt.
Plus they are cheap.
Problem solved.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #45
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
dmforcier, I use 16 oz. HEB cups. They're cheap and last a few years. They cost about $4 for a hundred. 12 cups fit well in Dollar Tree baskets.
Very nice! The trays wont be that heavy to carry either. Do you know if the square solo cups will fit in the trays pretty tight?
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote