Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default ....anyone for a striped heart???

one of my BrandyTad F3s from this season!
Old July 16, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Hubba hubba!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Forgive me but Brandywine F3?

You mean "Supposed to be Brandywine but who knows where that bee dragged pollen in from" F3?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

At this point, it is something F3 - my view is that as long as I am not releasing varieties to trade around, I have to keep it straight somehow! So good catch - I will have to come up with something clever...

How about BrandyTad F3, since it is the F3 from a supposed cross between Brandywine and Tad!

thanks for the comment...I like it when I am challenged and made to think!
Old July 16, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I got a Druzba from a farmer's market. It obviously crossed cause I got one PL and one RL.

And of the seeds I got for Stupice from a major supplier, one of the tomatoes is RL, the others all look perfectly PL. So I'm guessing a stray seed. Anyone know if Stupice tends to look a bit yellowish in the leaves until I gets some real sunlight?

Either way I have transplants and not sure what to do with them. Guess I'll grow em.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #6
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default PL Druzba

Feldon 27,
Grow that PL out and save the seed. I'll grow some of the PL seed out next year if you want me to. Sounds like another new PL variety

Be sure to give that PL variant from Druzba a new name.
PM me for my snailmail mailing info for seeds in the fall
Regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #7
melody
Tomatovillian™

Cool!

Keep us updated on the final outcome....(as in taste)
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #8
Rena
Tomatovillian™

ME ME ME... I am doing a heart grow out next year. (If I can recover from my insane cherry grow out)
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2006   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

My Don Juan tomato looks more like a mix of plum and pepper shapes.

http://foto.rambler.ru/users/andreycho/4/1/

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2006   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Craig, can you give me any idea as to the size of those fruits?

Looking at the nearby stems they look to be about the size of Tad. And since Tad is usually globe shaped is the slightly tapered blossom end the result of temp controlled influence on gene expression or for real a baby Tad heart?

I guess that can't be answered until you see the final size and see the final distribution of shapes, and more to the point, no pun intended, regrow it next year and perhaps share some seeds with someone in a cooler clime to check for gene expression.

Now, my friend, since I sent you Tad in the first place I'm suggesting that, well, you know the end of this sentence.

Yeah, I'm probably looking at the right hip being done late Spring 2007 so I can be home in time for the French Open this time, but I'm sure I can get someone to grow me a plant or two to look at and enjoy.

Heck, I could even look at some plants from my most recent growout of Tad to maintain stock. if I got lucky, maybe it's crossed as well.

Folks, Tad asked me not to distribute seeds of Tad, other than to Craig, b'c he said he wanted to upsize it first. But both Craig and I lost touch with him. Initially he sent me seeds from his three way cross and predicted that I'd find 1/64 plants that was the desired result of the cross. The first year I grew out 12 plants and got really lucky and got it that first year. So that's Tad.

I wonder if it's worthwhile trying to find Tad Smith just to let him know what's happening with the variety I named for him and what you've gotten with it re crosses. Last I knew, which is many years ago, he was still at Rohn Haas outside Philly.
Old July 17, 2006   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Carolyn - my feeling is that the tomato pictured is still a baby...if I were to guess, I would say it would end up in the 6-8 ounce range, but that is pure speculation! The presence of hearts in my growouts to me points to a more complex, perhaps 3 way, cross - Anna Russian and Ukranian Heart were also growing very close to Brandywine that year. Again, it is just shot in the dark guessing at this point!

However, it is a very rich combination - with Tad, Tigerella and Old German - then you have Brandywine, then a heart shaped pink - and the diversity of shapes, sizes and colors - and flavors - in the F2 and F3 has been quite remarkable!