Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2006   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default I saw the cutest thing at the market today...

I had a perfectly lovely trip to our local farmers market today, topped off by finding two little boys selling tomato plants that they grew themselves!

Turns out that mom and dad have a greenhouse, and they started tomato plants from seed (kind of late!). Dad had arranged for them to use an empty both, and the kids were selling the plants for $2 apiece...nice, large plants, very healthy....and dad just hung out by the truck, smiling, and let the little guys "do business"

It just happens that I never got around to starting fall tomatoes from seed, and was wishing I had. Perfect! So I bought three plants from the boys...who were so proud of their plants! It made me happy to give them my money. They had even found Seed Savers Exchange online and wanted to know if they had to be members to buy seeds! I told them about the public catalog, and had a nice discussion about heirloom tomatoes with them...and they couldn't have been more than about 11 or 12 years old!

So now my question: I bought "Rutgers" and "Jubilee" tomatoes from them...and all they could tell me about Jubilee is that it produces big orange tomatoes...so have any of you grown these two types? And what did you think of them?

I don't care if they taste like Better Boys....it just made me so happy to buy plants from the little future tomato businessmen! Of course, if the tomatoes are tasty that will be a plus! You all should have seen how those boys glowed when I told them how healthy and nice their plants were!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #2
landarc
Tomatovillian™

I like to see kids doing something like growing and selling plants. I tend to buy something from them and engage them in discussion as a way of supporting them whether I need the plant/fruit/veggie or not. I figure it is better than their just sitting around watching t.v.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #3
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

That's great...I would have bought a tomato plant from them even if it was yellow pear.

What a good dad, to sit back and stay out of the way of their endeavors.
Old July 14, 2006   #4
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Good story thanks for sharing.

I haven't grown Rutgers in several years so I wouldn't want to describe the taste. However, I live in an area where canning is very popular and Rutgers is by far the choice by most in this area. So, it's got to be good right?

Haven't grown Jubilee so I can't comment.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #5
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

To me, this story sound great on many levels...

When I was a kid, I had a blast growing my own tomato plants - Of course, they were only a couple and only for myself and my family, but I loved it.. the feeling of actually creating something on my own. So for them to be growing out many from seed and explore all the varieties, as well as share them with others must be a real thrill.

..and then there's the whole self-sufficiency / entrepreneurial spirit thing. I think it's awesome that the kids have taken it on their own to come up with this project and follow it through like little businessmen. They should be commended for coming up with a 'business' that actually contributes to the community and broadens horizons. A tomato plant is something that keeps on giving.

..and of course, DAD should be commended for not only encouraging his kids to follow their goals, but also for allowing them to pursue them on their own instead of taking the whole project over.

Now, a brief answer to your question. Both Rutgers and Jubilee are good solid staple varieties with history and a proven track record. I doubt either will knock your socks off, but both should give you healthy strong plants with a good yield and good flavor.

If it helps, here's pics for:

Jubilee
[img] http://mitglied.lycos.de/rkraft/Toma...en-Jubilee.jpg [/img]
The eight ounce fruit is bright orange colored, solid, smooth, sweet, with meaty flesh that is non-acid. The plants, although indeterminate, tend to be short-stemmed and stiff. They make a unique and attractive tomato juice. They were bred by W. Atlee Burpee and were the result of a stabilized, six-generation selection from a 'Tangerine' x 'Rutgers' cross. An "All-American Selection" in 1943.

Rutgers
[img] http://www.localharvest.org/images/c..._7507_5150.jpg [/img]
Introduced by a joint effort between Rutgers University and Campbells Soup Company in 1928 by crossing Marglobe with J.T.D.. Rutgers became the most famous tomato worldwide and put both the U.S. and New Jersey on the map for tomato breeding and quality.

Personally, I find it interesting in this case, that Jubilee was actually bred using Rutgers as a parent. Wow, didn't know that
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #6
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Forgot to mention:

The kids had grown everything they were selling. They said their parents had let them have a corner of their small family greenhouse. They had Rutgers, Jubilee, and Patio tomatoes, coleus (they described taking cuttings for that) and a few scrawny basil plants.

When I asked the younger boy (skinny, red hair, crewcut, LOTS of freckles) is he liked to EAT tomatoes, he drawled (this is South Carolina) "No ma'am. I don't like to eat 'em. I just like to GROW'em!"

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote