Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2006   #1
Bobcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing for green tomatoes?

Hi all. I was doing some thinking for next year and maybe even this year. I planted lots of peppers and pickles so there will be pickling going at some point soon. I also like pickled green tomatoes. I was wondering if I took a big cherry grower like yellow pear or something grew it for green tomatoes, would it produce more tomatoes than if left to ripen. Ultimately the plant would need to grow new sections and flowers for new fruit so probably would have no impact on yield?

I am doing this at some point either way as I think that would be a heck of a good addition to the pickling list. I guess my question is purely academic. That is I am still a tomato newb and learning about things like growing and factors that effect yield. This idea probably won't, but thought it would be a piece of info that I might like to know.

Thanks for any info!
Old July 12, 2006   #2
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

I am no expert on the subject, but I've seen this thread lay un answered for several days so I thought I would give my $0.02~

I would not expect any additional yeild from any given plant when picking green rather than ripe. If anything, you may get more foliage growth due to removing the fruit early thereby reducing the amount of energy the plant puts into developing and ripening fruits.

Again, no expert but that's how I see it.

RIK
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any easy answers either -- I would think that you would at least get a little more total production. It's quite apparent to me that when fruits are allowed to stay on the vine until dead ripe, the other ripening ones kind of 'wait', especially early on in the season.

So, have fun experimenting -- and report back.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #4
Bobcat
Tomatovillian™

Will do! Thanks again guys. like I said this is more of an educational question than anything else. A newb trying to understand the comings and goings of tomato growing. Your responses are appreciated!
Old July 13, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If you really must have green tomatoes, you could grow Granny Smith. It doesn't ripen! It's not a green-when-ripe. It literally doesn't ripen.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #6
melody
Tomatovillian™

For green tomatoes, I generally plant something that has a big production anyway...when the fruits are few and far between, it breaks my heart to pick a green one.

Green tomatoes pretty much taste the same...I've used tons in pickles, and they tend to be more intense than cucumber pickles...but you can substitute cuke pickle recipes and they'll be just fine...just a bit more 'bite"

I'm with the consensus above...it might make a slight difference in overall production to harvest only green ones, but I don't think you will get a great number more.

If you are curious, take two identical plants...treat one normally and the other pick only green ...keep a count and report back...enquiring minds want to know..
melody is offline   Reply With Quote