Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2006   #16
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default I reckon...

... Wes. Great. And German Red Strawberry. My two faves, usurping Anna Russian, with Yasha Yugoslavian behind them. But that's all I've grown. Maybe one or two others.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #17
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Glad to find this thread - I was going to ask for heart recommendations as well! I grew Anna Russian last year and didn't have the best luck with it in terms of production, but loved the taste and the texture. My only one this year is Orange Strawberry, which was really more of a whim than a thought-out choice, and I'm wishing I'd tried some others this year. Right now it sounds like I should look for Kosovo, Wes, and German Red Strawberry. Has anyone grown Nicky Crain? I'm very intrigued after reading Carolyn's description in her book, thinking of seeking it out.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #18
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Rena,

My heart shaped favorites are kosovo, orange russian 117, orange strawberry and german red strawberry. This year I am also growing yasha, kalman's, and nicky crane. My interest has been peaked by that black heart from feraltomatoes.

Dee ,

That picture of your latvian is awesome. I look forward to next year's sse catalog!
Old July 13, 2006   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Actually Monomakh's Hat has quite unique topped heart shape. It belongs to the new collection of Siberian tomatoes with big fruits of different shapes developed recently.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #20
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Little_Rhody, what do you think of Nicky Crain and Yasha Yugoslavian? Those are two I keep looking at. I have limited space (maybe 12-15 plants), so every choice is a big one.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #21
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Supergirl,

I'm probably behind most others as do not have any ripe tomatoes yet here in Rhode Island, but I will let you know when I get to try to them. I do know they come highly recommeded!
Old July 13, 2006   #22
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Got a nearby Grower...Organic...he's got at least...400 Plants. went over an studied his Work, yesterday. Tremendous effort....he jus aint got no water to throw at things, when they need it, an the Good Lord aint give us enough...this year, we havin to suplement.

It was amicably funny...where i saw he planted the only 2 PL's . Closest to the well, Closest to the house...)))

One is a standard BW. The Other...is...a heart-shaped PL fruit.

First thing that entered my mind...is this Fusion's Heart PL ?

I'm growin jus one...of these seeds....myself, and its way to early to tell anything....jus yet. But i got it isolated, from all the rest. Last year...it grew leaves that looked like Dumbo's Ears, but it got sick, an i only got one fruit from it...nothin to brag about.

I'm gonna go back an visit the neighbor, when he's home, an try an find out...exactly what this PL Heart is, an where it came from. He now owns...land that belonged to one of my Dear Uncles's Father, who was a mighty dam good Farmer.I would not have believed it, unless i saw it....a regular BW growin right beside a Heart- PL.

BTW...this Grower named his farm after a Mule, he uses...in So Many Beautiful Ways. Saw plenty evidence of that. If it didn't come from Fusion....i sho wanna know....where it DID come From...)))
Old July 13, 2006   #23
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

OFF TOPIC

Gimme, could you find out what your organic neighbor uses in the way of a fungicide? Copper? Something else?
Just curious. Thanks, farkee

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2006   #24
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Farkee, yes...when i go meet him, will try an find that out an reply. Looks like to me, thus far...he uses Black Plastic...primarily...)))
Old July 14, 2006   #25
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Looking to grow some Hearts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSCOLO
I am just new to even thinking about hearts as I did not think they would grow well here in GA. This year I grew a few and they did fine. Thanks!
Great topic, Rena -- the more hearts (and plums) I grow, the more of them I want to grow. Several possibles on the list for next year.

Which varieties have you grown so far?

Anna Russian is an old favorite of mine. I've also grown Orange Oxheart in the past and really enjoyed it. German Red Strawberry -- luscious.

Wes is a ripper. Prue -- Wow (okay, it's more of a variable shape). Kosovo - early for the size and very good. Kalman's Hungarian Pink -- yum.

Brad's Black Heart -- well, it tastes like a good (yet meaty) dark.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #26
Rena
Tomatovillian™

This year I grew a heart called Sulia's Heart from the sse yearbook. It did really well and the taste was really good it just did not get a good location. It sure is hard when you live on a hill with clay for dirt Orange Oxheart did well and was very tasty. Indeed I like to go off on tangents and certain directions. I can tell you the Cherry thing got out of hand Never again will I grow that many cherries. I think next years heart theme will be fun. I am already working on a list from SSE and will post it when I am done. It is amazing the number of hearts listed!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote