Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2006   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

"I saved seed from the Ramapo looking ones from the F2 growout, now the F3 seed." [Carolyn]

So, you're sayin' that you saved seeds from an F1 hybrid and grew out those F2 seeds into F2 plants and saved the seed from those F2 plants that looked the most like Ramapo, right? And that those saved seeds were F3 seeds ...

"And for this growout I was able to obtain some F1 Ramapo seed and grew some out to compare with my selection." [Carolyn]

So, by that, do you mean you subsequently grew out some of the F3 seeds into F3 plants and compared your selections with plants grown from the F1 seeds you were able to obtain? If so, you were now growing F3 plants with fruit that would bear F4 seeds, right?

And was this the generation, the F3 generation, that you say looked stable?

"I sent out both F2 and F3 seed in two consecutive years with my seed offers at GW to different folks." [Carolyn]

So, why did you send out only F2 and F3 seeds when you had grown out F3 plants, found them to look stable, and bearing F3 fruit with F4 seeds inside? I guess that's what's throwin' me off a year here ... that you actually grew out an F3 generation that looked stable but then did not save those seeds that would've then made F4 plants??? Or if you did save the F4 seeds from the F3 generation ... where are they???

But then if you only sent out F2 seeds (from F1 hybrid plants) and F3 seeds (from the subsequent F2 first year grow out), then I see where Barkeater is saying that the most advanced any of us can be is F4 plants with F5 seeds in their fruit.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

PV,

I never sowed the F3 seeds to plants.

The last time I grew lots of varieties was in the summer of 2004 b'c it was that Dec that I fell and severed the quad muscles in my right leg.

So the envelope with F3 seeds in it is marked 2004, which is when I processed them from F2 plants. The envelope with F2 seeds is marked 2003.

The F1 hybrid plants were also grown in the summer of 2004 so I could use them to compare with the selections I was making for seed saving.

Got it? LOL

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #18
travis
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Thank you for straightening me out once again. Somehow I keep falling back to this one particular post even though all the other posts at GW about your Ramapo grow out make it clear that you never grew out the F3 seeds … sorry, but the only thing my limited brain seems to remember is the latest thing you posted about the Ramapo, which obviously is an innocent mistake opn your part:

Posted by carolyn137 z4/5 NY on Mon, May 15, 06 at 21:11 >> “But as most of you know seed production for Ramapo F1, also a very early hybrid in terms of release date, stopped about 7-8 years ago, but I dehybridized it and have been distributing seeds here and elsewhere and now others are working with the F4 and F5, but it was dehybridized at the F3 according to my growouts.”
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...454273185.html

So, see I keep thinking you grew out the F3 seeds ... sorry for all the silly confusion … I’ll make sure and label the container for the seeds I'm currently growing from Barkeaters F4 as “F5” so I don’t get all discombobulated again.

Here's some photos of the "Jersey Barkolyn" (Ramapo F4): http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?p=20305#20305

PV
Old July 11, 2006   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

but it was dehybridized at the F3 according to my growouts.”

I should have been clearer when writing that.

My own selections from the F2's matched Ramapo very well, and although I don't think you were around then, maybe, maybe not, I made it pretty clear that it wasn't my intention to stabilize it entirely, espeically after I fell and knew I couldn't continue.

But the folks who got the F2 and F3 seeds were getting what they should re Ramapo, none of the offtype, so it seems to me that all proceeded actually very nicely.

Would that that would also happen with Supersonic and Jet Star, two hybrids that I don't think will be around that much longer. Craig was going to work with those but I don't know if he's started. Already Moreton Hybrid has beem pulled from production and I do still have some hybrid seeds for that one.
Old July 12, 2006   #20
travis
Tomatovillian™

"I should have been clearer when writing that ..." [Carolyn]

You were very clear about that, I just didn't read all your other posts about Ramapo grow out at GW. I went back yesterday and read them all and it was clear what the grow out entailed. My mistake.

Anyway, I'm enjoying growing Ramapo F4 very much. The two that don't get all day full sun aren't as blossom productive as the two that are out in full sun 12 hours a day, but all 4 plants are rampant growers.

I posted a picture of a ripe fruit over at the photo section of Tomatoville ... nice tomato.

PV