Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2016   #1
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Default Russian Tomato Varieties

My Daughter married a Russian gentlemen in 2008. They had our first and probably only granddaughter in 2011.

Our son in law is from Kazan and even though his Mom visits them in Tampa annually, our Granddaughter has never met her Russian relatives. They plan to travel and visit the clan in July. The last time they visited Kazan was in 2010. His Mom whose name is Ludmilla, loves and grows tomatoes at their Summer Dacha. I am also having my son in law ask his Mom if there are American varieties she would like to try.

Since they will be in Russia for two weeks, time will be spent at the Dacha. Are there any Russian tomato varieties that I could see if they could locate? Would like to get a list of varieties from TV members that may be of interest.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Kazan is a capital of Tatarstan region of Russia with quite hot summers and often cruel winters (-30 -35 C). Most of gardeners there prefer to grow tomatoes in greenhouses.
I've been there many times in 2010-2012...
You can find any Russian tomato variety at Ludmilla's dacha for sure. The best your son in law will be able to get out of Kazan are the local amateur varieties of Tatarstan and closer regions (Bashkortastan, Samara, Ulyanovsk, Orenburg, Udmurtia). All this Russian regions have got long tomato growing traditions.
This year I'm growing a local heirloom from Kazan for the first time - Kazanskiy Mestnyi tomato.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; May 1, 2016 at 05:23 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote