Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2016   #46
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
We4've been overcast for days, some rain, light rain. I am watching the shy and the weather from Noaa, rain is possible all week, more even into next week, so am being slow at doing too much setting out.

I don't want to be planting out with both me and the plants wearing water wings. The CG is in a flood plain area, but our home isn't.
Similar here, but the overcast is giving constant temperatures (i.e., high yest. was 68, low was 60), before with the arid air and sun, there were 30 degree swings.

I love the light drizzle and plants do too. Not stressed at all and green from head to toe. The purple stem is gone from colder nights (w/ low humid), and things are getting thick. Haven't had to whip out the hose in a couple of weeks, which I like & prefer to plant on a drizzly week with overcast. I'm 100% in the ground and things look great.

Even though there is a slight chance of rain almost everyday for next 7-10, no toad stranglers or heavy downpours expected.

I'm glad to see that 40+ mph wind disappear, clocked a few gust at 60 mph with an anometer.

Why would you not want to plant out in the drizzle?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #47
imp
Tomatovillian™

I don't mind a light drizzle at all, it's when it decides to start raining seriously that I pass. Going to be putting more plants and seeds out this evening, and be happy again playing in the dirt.

The tomato plants do love being put out on overcast days, so trying to take advantage of that, love the lack of transplant shock.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We had a nice little break from the rain and things had a chance to dry out a bit; but then on Monday we got a half inch of rain that was unexpected. Our humidity jumped back up again and the rain is expected to hit again today and for the next few days. I finally got most of the diseased leaves pruned off my plants from the deluge of the past few weeks and I fear it may be starting again. Some of my plants more susceptible to foliage diseases are looking pretty barren right now. I think I'll put on a copper spray and hope the rain isn't too heavy. If it does rain hard and keeps on for more than a few days I guess I'll have to adopt my bleach spray between rains method of fighting diseases until it lets up. When I was pruning off the damaged leaves yesterday I also noticed the first worms on the lower leaves so I applied BT; but with the rain it won't do much good I'm afraid. I may have to use a bit of Sevin if they come on strong because it will usually get them in a matter of an hour or so.

The plants are finally greening up a bit after having so much nutrient leached out. I fertilized good yesterday in hopes of giving them a bit more color before the leaching begins with the rain expected over the next week. I wouldn't mind a good shower but I hope it is followed by another week of dry weather to give the plants a chance to recover.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #49
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Well, looks like it's my turn. Lightening firing off and big storm coming in minutes with large hail reports. it's a balmy 68 this morning. cold front meets warm front pulling gulf moisture. 4" expected, could be severe. to lose a crop this late would s-u-c-k. hope mother nature cooperates. we shall see. could be a dousy.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #50
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's wet here, too. I say this a lot, but I am loving my raised ridges/beds and black plastic. Also, the soil I use has a high humate content, and just doesn't turn to mud like the clay does. The humates also assist water uptake when dry.

It rained a lot the day before yesterday, and I was working out in the garden yesterday with no problem. Since I don't till between rows, I can still walk on the ground after a rain. The tilled gardens right now look like mud pits for a 4x4 competition. A person would sink to their ankles in mud trying to walk out there.

The warming effect of the black plastic in the sun is very noticeable when I stick my hands under it to plant. It feels almost too hot, like it would cook the roots, but they seem to love it. The ground does get cool at the very bottom of the ridge, a foot or so down. I think my soil contains a lot of air, which makes it easy to warm up. Wet, muddy, clay by contrast always feels cold to me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #51
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Well, looks like it's my turn. Lightening firing off and big storm coming in minutes with large hail reports. it's a balmy 68 this morning. cold front meets warm front pulling gulf moisture. 4" expected, could be severe. to lose a crop this late would s-u-c-k. hope mother nature cooperates. we shall see. could be a dousy.
Stay safe and I hope that if the rains have to hit you that all you get is rain and nothing else like hail or damaging winds.

We had good soaking for a couple of days. Now it gonna reach to almost 90 and sun and humidty is unreal. Rain coming again Sunday and temps will drop back down into 70's.

Too bad we can't just order up 1" of rain a week when we need it and temps stay around mid 70's. ; )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote