Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 14, 2011   #16
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Did you watch the french tomato growing video that was posted? Some interesting topping/pruning techniques were covered.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #17
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

My hornworms told me that day before yesterday was the time for me to prune my two best producers. I lost two ft off an Early Girl that WAS loaded with blooms and foliage. It's hard to believe they can eat a plant that quick.

I normally don't top or prune at all. I like to hunt for the tomatoes and be surprised when I find a Monster( fat chance of that this year). I did experiment by pruning three Plants this year. I will say that I was not impressed.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #18
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
At what point in the season (for Northerners, at least) is it unlikely that pollinated flowers will have enough time to fully mature to ripened fruit? In other words, when should I consider topping the plants so that all the remaining energy can be directed to the ripening fruit that's on the vine?
My thoughts are : When a tomato is growing, it is not ripening. When it stops growing it starts to ripen. If I top the plant, it gives more energy to the rest of the whole plant ; leafs, stems, suckers, tomatoes that are still growing, etc. Toms that are still growing will get bigger, but will not necessarily ripen any sooner.

If there is more energy available to a tomato that has stopped growing and has already started to ripen it doesn't mean that the tomato will ripen any sooner, because (I believe) when a tomato starts to ripen it stops it's intake of nutrients.

In my opinion, cutting off nutrients to a tomato plant (as in root pruning) will stress the plant, stop the tomato's growth and hasten the process of ripening.

That said; I top and prune my plants to curtail their growth and number of fruit per plant.

Just an old man's opinion (or babels).
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #19
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
Did you watch the french tomato growing video that was posted? Some interesting topping/pruning techniques were covered.
I found the video fascinating. <smile> summer like the one I am having though I am going to be happy with whatever I get.

I enjoyed/found interesting how the propagate the plants to be ready for going out into the field. Had not thought of a cold frame for growing tomatoes, but climate here for me is just a wee bit different than what they have there.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote