Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2006   #1
username5
Tomatovillian™

Default Neves Azorean Red from Mariseeds

Due to a very generous garden webber (before the village idiots took over) I have been growing Neves for the last 2 years and absolutely love it.

I haven't saved seed due to extreme laziness as well as fear of cross polination from close plant spacing. (I only have room for 18 plants so any wrong varieties really depress me).

That leaves me in the position of either buying them commercially or begging someone for some for 2007.

I would prefer to buy them (hate being a mooch), but the only place I see them for sale is mariseeds.com and I have never done business with them.

Has anyone grown out their Neves seeds? Are they actually Neves? Those huge, juicy, beasts of maters that make a 1/2lb burger look small?

Anyone done business with them with other seeds who wants to give them a thumbs up or down?
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Neves Azorean Red from Mariseeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by username5
[...]the only place I see them for sale is mariseeds.com and I have never done business with them.

Has anyone grown out their Neves seeds? Are they actually Neves? Those huge, juicy, beasts of maters that make a 1/2lb burger look small?
Hi, good to see you over here.

That's where I got my NAR seeds from, and they seem to be true to type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username5
Anyone done business with them with other seeds who wants to give them a thumbs up or down?
I've ordered several varieties from her in the past and have been well pleased with the selection and service.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #3
username5
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Neves Azorean Red from Mariseeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Hi, good to see you over here.
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
That's where I got my NAR seeds from, and they seem to be true to type.
Good to know, your pic looks right to me. Thanks!
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #4
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I got my NAR seeds from Tanager Song Farm, and have one healthy plant with small green fruit. I'll let you know how they turn out.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #5
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

I also got NAR seeds from Mariseeds. I'll let you know how mine come out when I get some ripe fruit. It's been a very bushy, dense, but short! plant compared to everything else. I really wanted to try it based on the posts on G-web, so can't wait to see how it tastes.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

That's what I like about the NAR ... so far ... it's rather controlled growth, regular but controlled branching, super stout stalks and shoots, and dense foliage.

But does it produce? The blossoms seem sparse compared to the plant vigor. Do any of you have problems with NAR producing blossoms?

And the earlier blossoms didn't set probably due to a week or so of high temps earlier in June. A few other varieties failed me then too, but they recovered and set many blossoms when the temps dropped back to somethin' tolerable. Neves has continued to be stingy with blossoms and blossom set.

Any observations? This is my first time to try NAR.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased tomato and pepper seeds from Marianne for several years and 100% of the seeds have been true to variety for me. The packages are generous and she has been very prompt with delivery. My only negative has been the shipping/handling costs, but then even that is within reason to get such good service.

This is the third year for NAR and the second year for that variety from Mariseeds. I, too, failed to save seeds from the first year and purchased seeds this year having moved and forgot I had seeds from the second. Last years crop was good and this year looks even better.

Mariseeds, Sandhill Preservation and Baker Creek have always been excellent suppliers.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #8
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Mines from KCMO_Don ~
Looks great so far !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #9
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Hurray! Papavic & jtcm05, you made me feel much better. I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with my NAZ in terms of it being so much shorter than the other plants. Glad to hear that that's just being true to type. I knew it wasn't sick since it's so dense and healthy looking. Mine has also not been a big bloomer. I'm hoping it's just waiting to start cranking them out in a little while. I do see blossoms forming, and I have a couple greenies. I have a Carbon that's been very slow as well, and someone told me theirs kicked in really late and then started cranking out the 'maters, so I'm hoping NAZ will do the same. It's probably the one I'm looking forward to the most!
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2006   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My NAR seeds are from Mariseeds, as well. This is my only healthy plant left. I've lost all the others to TSWV. It was late to set fruit but now I have several and most are HUGE! All still green so I'll have to report back on flavor.

I have ordered from Mariseeds several times and so far, so good.