Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2006   #1
username5
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato pruning technique

Hi folks, just found the forum, glad to be here.

The last few years I have been transitioning away from traditional growing methods to those which are less labor intensive (for me) such as raised bed, container and SqFt gardening.

As a result my tomatos (mostly heirloom indets) have been getting spaced closer and closer together. I haven't determined any dramatic yield differences between 3ft and 2ft spacing, but this year I shrunk it to 12" (ala SqFt method) and for the first time have pruned heavily.

At 12" spacing using a trellis for support pruning seems pretty much mandatory. Can't say anything about yield yet as the first green maters have formed only recently.

What has been your experience with pruning indets and trellising|staking whatever?

I am pruning to a single stem and removing all suckers so anyone who has gone that route or the sq ft route I would really like to read your experiences. Is it true that per plant yield drops, but yield per row foot increases or equals out?

Also, kind of an odd question, but anyone else find pruning tomatos really enjoyable? I dunno why, but I am finding my once per week pruning session about the most enjoyable garden activity this year.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My preference is caging and not pruning. No really good reason except that is the way I do it.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #3
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you have gotten off your hands Keith.
I'll keep you posted on the Bush Whopper
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #4
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

I am using a modified SFG method too, except that I have staggered rows 2 feet apart with 2-foot spacing between maters. I have erected a support that is over 9 feet above my tomaotes and I am using strings and vines clips for the first time. What a great system! (Thanks to the people at GW - at least some of whom are here, who introduced the concept to me).

Obviously, I am pruning heavily, but at 3 to 4 feet above the ground, I have started to let multiple vines grow (the big double vines and very large suckers, which are not really like suckers in appearance - if that makes sense).

I find pruning and using strings and vine clips to be really easy and fun once you are set up. There are other advantages too, which I will document in a separate post with photos, so as not to HJ your thread. I did use cages years ago and really never liked that growing style; just my preference.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #5
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD

Obviously, I am pruning heavily, but at 3 to 4 feet above the ground, I have started to let multiple vines grow (the big double vines and very large suckers, which are not really like suckers in appearance - if that makes sense).
Now that is interesting. Something I read in some book (don't remember which one) said that the higher up the plant the less vigorous the suckers and extra stems are. It suggested that if more than one stem was to be allowed it would ideally start below the first flowers.

Since this is my first year pruning I certainly can't say from experience if this holds true, but it seems logical since the suckers/extra stems have to draw from the main stem's roots. The closer they are to those roots the more vigorous they would be. I think

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old July 14, 2006   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

I tend to prefer cages, but, often end up staking as well when things start to get out of hand. I don't prune and rarely pinch out growth unless suckering is becoming a real issue. I am also incredibly lazy, so, I make no representation that I am optimizing harvest in any manner.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

I too have switched from stakes to crw cages. I stopped pruning. It is a daily chore I hated. Miss a day at 85 degrees and dew points 65-75 and that sucker that was 1" yesterday doubles or triples in size.

While tomatoes naturally sprawl and I unnaturally cage, I think suckering is unnatural. The more leaves the more shade and there is some thought that shade allows sugars to concentrate. Better tasting (?) tomatoes and less work ( ).

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #8
fnsdo
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps, the option of pruning is more appropriate in the cooler climes. In Arizona, where we have to use shade cloth to assit in survivial over the long hot summer, I have been very afraid to remove any potential shade . Thus, caged somewhat disorganized leafy plants.
Lots of leaves and shoots- plenty of work just stuffing the branches back into the cages.
Am thinking of trying indoor hydro with single stem this fall.
Cheers
Fred
Old July 14, 2006   #9
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Keith - Since you so enjoy stringing - especially when it's really hot, and since I am way behind on that job and things are getting too out of control - COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!! Plus you could take a look at all those Purple Hazes, Gary O'Senas, Liz Burts, B-10BC's and the like. I LOVE the B-10BC's - just lovely!
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2006   #10
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

I both prune and cage. I use cages of PVC pipe and thus
it lends itself to 4 main vines. There's 4 main upright
pieces and I tie one to each upright.

Works great for me!

I start the 2, 3 and 4 main vines from the bottom most
first suckers that are growing in the proper direction. My
uprights are at 90 deg from one another.

After those 4 get going good, I prune all resulting suckers.
Although I do miss a few here and there.

And this is what they look like.

Old July 15, 2006   #11
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

I prune and keep 2 main stems if possible. I tie them to a trellis and space them about 16" apart. Here's what 2 of my beds look like. They are double sided and look as good on the other side as well. These were taken a little over a week ago. http://[img]http://i59.photobucket.c....jpg[/img]

http://[img]http://i59.photobucket.c....jpg[/img]

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2006   #12
username5
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pics you guys, very healthy looking.