Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2006   #1
Denise_in_MI
Tomatovillian™

Default Question for Floridian's

What is your latest planting date for your fall/winter varieties?

I'm asking because my Mom is now a 'snowbird'. If she departs Michigan in early October - will she have enough growing days to produce fruit? She would be in Homossassa (sp?) approx. 24 hours after she leaves Michigan.

If yes, which varieties? Early only? If not? Just tell me I'm a silly northerner without a clue.

Since she's my Mom...I'd be happy to start her a couple of seedlings that she could take along and plant. I need advice on planting dates and varieties.

THANKS!!!
Old July 12, 2006   #2
garaj
Tomatovillian™

Early October is pushing it a bit for Homosassa, however there are still possibilities. Her best bet are the early varieties: Stupice, Fourth of July, Early Girl, etc. It will be too late to start seeds, but your mom could buy plants four to five weeks old at the nuseries in Florida when she arrives and she would be assured of getting a crop. If non of the above varieties are available, Celebrity comes in fairly early and is widely available. Alternately, she may care to start seeds in Michigan on September first and bring the seedlings with her. Garaj
garaj is offline   Reply With Quote