Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2008   #1
bate181
Tomatovillian™

Default How do my seedlings look? *PICS*

i believe its been 3 weeks since i planted them. i just transfered them to the larger pots from egg cartons a few days ago. how much sun should i be giving them? theyve been getting hours everyday as it is, but im not sure if thats too much

bate181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008   #2
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

Default Nice!

They look pretty healthy to me! When you say they're getting some sun -- does that mean you have them outside in the sun? Or is this sun through a window, and you have these plants inside at this point?

If you're growing from seed, I'm sure you're aware of the hardening off process, so I won't bug you (unless you really want me too).

I've had Andrew Rahart Jumbo Red seedlings outside since Saturday, but they've been protected from direct sunlight and wind from a patio cover near the side of the house.

Over the past few days, I've been dragging them out into the yard to get early evening sunshine, and they remain in the open through the night, and have been getting morning sunshine before I drag them back undercover.

But today -- I left them alone. It's sink or swim for the babies now. I've got them repotted and staked (they were extremely leggy), and I hope they make it (praying actually).
Old May 8, 2008   #3
bate181
Tomatovillian™

theyre outside in direct sunlight and they come in at night. yea, google and this forum has informed me of the hardening off process.
Old May 8, 2008   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

They look good, except I don't like that potting medium all over the leaves. :-) Can you wash it off and be a little more careful next watering time? Next time, with that few seeds and containers that large, spread the seeds out a bit, that way upon potting up you won't disturb the roots as much. You are going to separate them aren't you?
Old May 8, 2008   #5
bate181
Tomatovillian™

oh yea, been meaning to get the dirt off the leaves. earl, for watering is it ideal to fill the tray theyre in with water and let them soak from the bottom or pour water in from the top into each pot? and i transfered these seedlings from egg cartons, i didnt start them in these containers.

additionally, when you say separate, should i do that right now? or let them grow more before separating?
Old May 10, 2008   #6
dice
Tomatovillian™

Bottom watering preserves more air space in the potting or
seed-starting mix. That (large pore air space) has correlated
directly to better plant performance in a lot of research studies.