Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2012   #61
duderubble
Tomatovillian™

That video was sexy.
Old June 23, 2012   #62
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

wow i was enjoying the video....

thanks for the video and special thanks for the thread setter, this is a very useful thread for a newbie like me....
starrywishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2012   #63
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Your welcome.

Because I use the electric toothbrush method I have close to 80 tomatoes in various stages of growth from 25 plants.

Even the light producers like Uncle Mark Bagby and Grandfather ashlock have more than one tomato on them at the moment.

Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrywishes View Post
wow i was enjoying the video....

thanks for the video and special thanks for the thread setter, this is a very useful thread for a newbie like me....
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2012   #64
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

hanks Zabby!!

I hope that Big Zac gets to 8 pounds to claim the world record!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabby17 View Post
Great news that it's helping out for you, Julia!

Thanks for explaining.

I hope that Big Zac brings home first prize.

Z
Old June 23, 2012   #65
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Your welcome.

Because I use the electric toothbrush method I have close to 80 tomatoes in various stages of growth from 25 plants.

Even the light producers like Uncle Mark Bagby and Grandfather ashlock have more than one tomato on them at the moment.

Julia
im doing experiment with better boy in a topsy turvy this year since i've heard ppl say its a gimmick, so i grabbed one topsy turvy i saw halfprice at a clearance (well its actually my 1st year growing plants, but i've got into tomatoes more than any others ) the plant produces too many flowers but very much fruit, but most of the flowers dry up and fall off the plant before the fruit is formed. from 50-60 flowers only 5-6 became tomatoes/truss. the cherry tomato i planted in the same topsy turvy is a different story, its doing so good, so its 2 plants in a topsy turvy.

i even got one extra better boy from the sucker i pinched, planted it on a 10gallon pot, got some flowers but no luck with fruit....

fyi, the potting soil is my own mixed (i cant afford the expensive miracle famous brand) it's equal part of composted cow manure, mushroom compos and some cheap potting soil. i applied compos tea every twice a week.

i really have no clue what is wrong with my better boy but im definitely going to get me the toothbrush and try this method on the plant...i hope i will get a good result i think im not giving up yet...

thanks again Julia!

Last edited by starrywishes; June 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
starrywishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2012   #66
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I actually have good results as well with the paintbrush method.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2012   #67
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year I have been buzzing my babies and it sure seems to be working. I just did a count in my main tomato bed of 28 plants and have twice as many tomatoes set (163) than in the past two years on this date (83 and 82)! There seems to be a lot more tomatoes per truss with many having 5-6 fruit.

Just gave them a buzz, and now they are just lounging back having a cigarette.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #68
Muslickz
Tomatovillian™

I am currently working on a project whereby my tomatoes are being supported by strings coming down from a wooden trellis.

I am then mounting a small very inexpensive engraving pen (Way stronger than a elec toothbrush) to the trellis itself and attaching it to a timer to turn it on for 5 mins every afternoon/evening. this should automate the pollination process. I will post a thread specifically dealing with this project as soon as it's up and running..

-Mike..
Muslickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #69
duderubble
Tomatovillian™

When you get mre tomatoes per truss (or per plant) are the tomatoes smaller? In other words are you getting more fruit or just getting more fruits?
Old June 27, 2012   #70
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderubble View Post
When you get mre tomatoes per truss (or per plant) are the tomatoes smaller? In other words are you getting more fruit or just getting more fruits?
Too early to tell. I would think that so long as I provide sufficient water and nutrients, the fruits should be typical for the varieties. I weigh all of my tomatoes, so I'll be able to compare the average weight per tomato and per plant for each variety by season's end.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #71
koshki
Tomatovillian™

After reading this thread, I ran right out and bought an electric toothbrush. I've been using it for a couple weeks now, and I do think I get more blossoms to set fruit. And if it's not working, I don't think it hurts. Plus I'm spending time looking closely at my plants, which is also good.

I try to do it daily...sometimes I even buzz a couple twice a day!
Old July 5, 2012   #72
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I've been observing something.

When the flower petals are completely open and have moved completely back being parallel to the rest of the flower is the time when one receives visible pollen flowing from the tube (anthers) and out into the air.

This is an indication that your "buzzing" was successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshki View Post
After reading this thread, I ran right out and bought an electric toothbrush. I've been using it for a couple weeks now, and I do think I get more blossoms to set fruit. And if it's not working, I don't think it hurts. Plus I'm spending time looking closely at my plants, which is also good.

I try to do it daily...sometimes I even buzz a couple twice a day!
Old July 5, 2012   #73
koshki
Tomatovillian™

I've seen pollen a few times, but not on every blossom. I figure buzzing them early, on time and late can't hurt unless I knock the darn blossom off the plant (which I have not yet done, knock wood). I have had a lot of fused mega-blooms, especially on the Black from Tulas, and I have been paying them particular attention, tickling them on all sides! They make funky looking fruit, but who cares when it's in my mouth....yummmmmmmmmmmm!
Old July 12, 2012   #74
miatapa
Tomatovillian™

I started doing it about a week ago with a Sonicare brush and the number of small tomatoes on my plants has increased at least threefold!
miatapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2012   #75
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Excellent!!!

I'm glad this is working for you!!

Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapa View Post
I started doing it about a week ago with a Sonicare brush and the number of small tomatoes on my plants has increased at least threefold!