Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2013   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine OTV Leaf Type

Hi Carolyn or Craig (or anyone else who might know),

I'm growing Brandywine OTV this year after about a 10 year hiatus. My seeds are from Tomato Growers Supply. No date on the package but AW stamped on the back. I think they're from about 2002 or so?? Anyway, I germinated 3 seeds and got 2 potato leaf (correct form) and one regular leaf.

I planted both the regular leaf and one of the potato leaf ones, and have the other potato leaf one in the healing chamber now after being grafted onto an eggplant rootstock (for fun). I searched through Garden Web to try and find Carolyn's old thread on people reporting incorrect leaf types, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, I was wondering if you recall anyone else reporting the RL OTV from TGS of that era?

FWIW, I also came up with 2 leaf types for Purple Dog Creek (but saw Nancy R's thread about that) and 2 leaf types for Noir de Crimee (but those are from Chuck Wyatt about the time Carolyn said he was being quite sloppy about sending correct varieities).

Thanks,
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Carolyn or Craig (or anyone else who might know),

I'm growing Brandywine OTV this year after about a 10 year hiatus. My seeds are from Tomato Growers Supply. No date on the package but AW stamped on the back. I think they're from about 2002 or so?? Anyway, I germinated 3 seeds and got 2 potato leaf (correct form) and one regular leaf.

I planted both the regular leaf and one of the potato leaf ones, and have the other potato leaf one in the healing chamber now after being grafted onto an eggplant rootstock (for fun). I searched through Garden Web to try and find Carolyn's old thread on people reporting incorrect leaf types, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, I was wondering if you recall anyone else reporting the RL OTV from TGS of that era?

FWIW, I also came up with 2 leaf types for Purple Dog Creek (but saw Nancy R's thread about that) and 2 leaf types for Noir de Crimee (but those are from Chuck Wyatt about the time Carolyn said he was being quite sloppy about sending correct varieities).

Thanks,
Anne
Anne, OTV Brandywine is PL and I ought to know since I was the one who dehybridized the original accidental cross between Yellow Brandywine X ????, seeds and a picture backto Craig from the person Craig had sent YB seeds to.

No, I don't remember anyone getting RL seeds of it from TGS or elsewhere.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki..._(Off_The_Vine)

Nothing mentioned above and I can 't remember any SSE listings with RL plants either but would need to confirm that by plowing through older yearbooks.

Could it have been a stray seed that got into a pack when going from bulk seeds to individual packs?

About Chuck. it wasn 't so much that he was sloppy, part of it was, but he was a very sick man,no one knew how sick, was forgetful, confused things and passed away in June of 2002.

Carolyn
Old April 6, 2013   #3
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, I knew about your history with OTV and figured if anyone could answer my question you could!!

If you haven't heard of any RL OTV after all these years, I guess it must be a stray seed that somehow got into the mix and I have a mystery tomato on my hands this year.

Thanks for your answer!

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote