Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 6, 2019   #46
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried a full brisket, just the flats at the grocery store. And I ruin them. Every. Single. Time. I've got a lot to learn on that one.

Venison though, I knock that out the park day in and day out if I can say so myself

I'm about to throw some turkey breast on for sammiches. I usually get the unseasoned ones, but this time the wife picked up the "pre-seasoned" apple-smoked halves. So I'm not going to rub them, but I'm adding some hickory to the mix
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #47
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That's the first full brisket I cooked, I usually cut the dry/flat part off and throw it in the freezer to make sausage and just cook the point with some of the flat. I cut it about in half and that leaves the flat with plenty of fat to cook tender and juicy compared to the end.

It's a learning process for sure but I find hot and fast the easiest and less worrisome, cook it to about 205 and then start using the "probe like butter" test with a thermometer probe or a toothpick. It's worked so far for me.
Old January 6, 2019   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Years ago my drunken weed smoking biker hippie neighbors cooked a brisket and to keep the fire going they kept putting leaded gasoline on the wet wood.
The thing turned out as tough as a boot because I could see them chewing on it like chewing gum.
But it did have a nice pink leaded benzine smoke ring.

I was asked if I wanted some and I politely turned it down but took a beer.
You could smell the gasoline fumes wafting from the meat.

My wife and I called it the Great Gasa Que for years after this fantastic event.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #49
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Old January 7, 2019   #50
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Years ago my drunken weed smoking biker hippie neighbors cooked a brisket and to keep the fire going they kept putting leaded gasoline on the wet wood.
The thing turned out as tough as a boot because I could see them chewing on it like chewing gum.
But it did have a nice pink leaded benzine smoke ring.

I was asked if I wanted some and I politely turned it down but took a beer.
You could smell the gasoline fumes wafting from the meat.

My wife and I called it the Great Gasa Que for years after this fantastic event.
I walked up on a hotdog cook out one day, with a couple and their children cooking hot dogs over an open fire using old treated boards from a deck they tore down. I called the dad over and told him those boards probably had arsenic in them... You should have seen the look on his face! He must have eaten a few of them.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #51
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2019   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I bought a cheap Oklahoma Joe"s Highland offset BBQ smoker today.
Still in the box still in the back of my truck.
You cant have too many of these contraptions.

Last edited by Worth1; January 8, 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old January 8, 2019   #53
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations, you made a good choice for flavor. The smoke flavor is different compared to a drum.

I can show you how to make the COS(cheap offset smoker) cook like a dream if you want some advise.

I'm not bragging just telling the truth from experience. It's a good thing you can weld!!

I might have posted the mods already here, check the tool thing thread.
Old January 8, 2019   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Congratulations, you made a good choice for flavor. The smoke flavor is different compared to a drum.

I can show you how to make the COS(cheap offset smoker) cook like a dream if you want some advise.

I'm not bragging just telling the truth from experience. It's a good thing you can weld!!

I might have posted the mods already here, check the tool thing thread.
Any advice welcome.
I already looked at the thread you had in the tool section and even replied in it about the fire place tiles in the fir box.

First order of business and a huge fail on the manufacturers part.
You can build a fire in the main cooking chamber but no way to flush out the ashes.

Ashes will eat steel and make it rust they all have to be removed and flushed with water.
So since I have lathe I will make a drain hole in the bottom and turn the end of a 1 inch nut to fit tightly in that hole then TIG weld it in grind off excess so it matches radius of the bottom of the cooking chamber.
Most radius grinding will be done on a vise in the shop.
Lathe threaded rod with tee handle will serve as a plug.
OR I may install three vents under the main cooking area but that can come later.
Just need to see how it works as is.
Fire box bottom too thin but that is a no brainer to modify with a better fire box if need be when the time comes.
What I do like about the fire box is it is two piece and bolts to the main chamber.
Plus it has a place to grill steaks.
Before I bolt it on I will use some high temp RTV gasket compound but you wont see it bulging out like I have seen in the videos.
Old January 8, 2019   #55
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It's late and I'll reply tomorrow so don't do anything till then. I researched and have cooked on mine enough to know what really matters as far as mods. I know you can figure it out yourself but I hope my help will save you time and trouble.
Old January 8, 2019   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do anything, it is still in the box I might make my boss put it together tomorrow at work.

Worth
Old January 9, 2019   #57
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Rob, i'd be interested to hear if you can expound on this comment.

>>> The smoke flavor is different compared to a drum.

I've been using and enjoying a WSM 18 bullet for the past year. One major drawback to me is the bi-level racks, and the tricky access to the lower grate during cooking. So I could easily see another, different smoker in my future. Thanks.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2019   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have used a ton of offset smokers really nice BBQ trailers to really cheap.
The flavor can differ greatly depending on how you use them.
Old January 9, 2019   #59
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Rob, i'd be interested to hear if you can expound on this comment.

>>> The smoke flavor is different compared to a drum.

I've been using and enjoying a WSM 18 bullet for the past year. One major drawback to me is the bi-level racks, and the tricky access to the lower grate during cooking. So I could easily see another, different smoker in my future. Thanks.
Like Worth said, there's lots of ways to cook on an offset and it takes a while to learn your pit with trial and error but it's a fun journey and you get to eat along the way!!!

The offset was designed to burn wood with the same kind of fire you would have in a fireplace. Meaning an actual fire and not smoldering putting out heavy thick smoke. That's why they're called a stick burner, they burn actual wood/sticks. When you run the fire that way the smoke is almost invisible coming out of the exhaust and the heat is moving that clean smoke over the meat faster than in a drum so you get a cleaner and lighter smoke flavor.

On a drum or barrel smoker most people use a charcoal basket and load it up then dump a chimney of hot coals over the top and control the burn with your bottom vent. That creates thick smoke because you're choking out the fire to control the temperature. It works and I love my drum but there is a difference in flavor.

With that said, everyone has different tastes and some people like heavy smoke. I like smoke too but I don't like so much smoke that I'm still burping smoke 4 hours after I eat.

Next time you fire up your WSM don't use any wood, just burn briquettes and you'll be surprised that you'll still get a smoke ring and smoke flavor without it being really strong.
Old January 9, 2019   #60
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Rob, all clear and makes sense. In my WSM I tend to run lean on the raw wood, and still get plenty of smoky taste. Also, lighter is more enjoyable for my dear wife.

I was already thinking/planning of using lump oak (only) for my next smoke, thanks for the nudge.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote