Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2017   #31
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Another pic. The bottom is the first batch I slow roasted a couple weeks ago. A
multi-flora branch broke so I had some unripe cherries, and a real stinker, a bland
mealy one...roasting/the heat changes all that and makes a great sauce.
Oh crap Oakley, that looks just illegal....what a great idea!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #32
JoParrott

Make slow roasted tomatoes- heat your oven to 250- cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and place cut side up on a cookie sheet that has been lightly wiped with olive oil- drizzle olive oil, sprinkle with dried basil and dried minced garlic, slow roast for about 5 hours-- they are to die for- put on crackers, bruschetta, add to pizzas, pasta sauce- anything- the flavor is very intense- they can be frozen or kept for about 10 days in the fridge. IMO this is the best way to preserve tomatoes! Google slow roasted tomatoes for unlimited ideas.
Old August 19, 2017   #33
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I've been making this recipe
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/lea...rmented-salsa/
With a diced fresh peach added for sweetness. The juice gets fizzy like soda pop.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #34
robertamell
Tomatovillian™

this is probably too late. sorry. live in italy and we slice and roast our tomatoes in a bit of olive oil. you can also add thinly sliced onion if it is very sweet. roast for a few hours until all the water is gone. they become so sweet and just store them in the fridge in a canning jar. better than passata!!!
robertamell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #35
Tania
Tomatovillian™

5 lbs of tomatoes go into our daily tomato salad for me and Stan. We eat a lot, apparently

Now we are getting buckets and boxes of ripe tomatoes, so some go to the chickens, after the seeds are removed, they love them.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #36
bower
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear you're eatin hearty, Tania!
I've been sending my culls to a friend who has chickens. As for the pounds of perfectly good tomatoes I couldn't possibly eat, I been roasting them. Olive oil, grated garlic, some dried basil salt and pepper I mix up in the bottom of the glass dish then throw the tomatoes in as I chop them, stir everything to coat and spread them in an even layer, then roast at 400F for 30 minutes, turn off and leave them in the oven as it cools and overnight. The next day, through the blender, pack and freeze. Saves a lot of space. Much easier than stovetop sauce, and tastes the best.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #37
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Tania, nice to hear from you! Am waiting to hear how your move is playing out.
Yes, I could eat one lb tomato just like that with no trimmings...
I have canned out everything I wanted now back to dehydrating. They take very little space in the freezer that way and one can use them for lots of dishes. Am getting Smart oven which has air drying function. We will see....
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote