Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 5, 2009   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumbers

When do people typically start cucumbers? Do people start seed indoors or plant outside after frost danger is past? If early, how many weeks prior to planting to you start seed???

Thanks...
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I dont start them indoors anymore at all. I just direct sow as they are usually pretty fast growing once you start them. Of course I am in South Texas, long ways from where you are.
Old April 5, 2009   #3
mater-head
Tomatovillian™

I always direct sow my cukes and squash. I've always been told that cukes dont transplant all that well.
Old April 5, 2009   #4
BattleOfBennington
Tomatovillian™

I always start cukes and squash early, inside. Plant outside when I plant the Maters

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
When do people typically start cucumbers? Do people start seed indoors or plant outside after frost danger is past? If early, how many weeks prior to planting to you start seed???

Thanks...
BattleOfBennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #5
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

At my home garden I have to start them inside as the squirrels dig up all seeds. I also plant some for my far garden inside to get a head start.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #6
mater-head
Tomatovillian™

How well do they transplant for you? How large do you let them get before transplanting?

Wanna trade some of your squirrels for some of my moles? :-)
Old April 5, 2009   #7
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I have not had any problems with transplanting my cucumbers they seem to do fine. I like to get the 2-3 weeks head start as well. I usually let them get about 4 inches or so before transplanting.

Quote:
Wanna trade some of your squirrels for some of my moles? :-)
Not even on a dare. I had one mole once, what a pain.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

When I lived in NYS, Broome County, I started all melon, cukes, peas (even sweet peas,) beans, squash, pumpkins etc., in toilet paper tubes, with any soil I chose.

The reason behind it was to let the roots grow down to the bottoms. Sometimes I even used paper towel rolls cut in half for the plants I knew wanted to grow longer roots; usually squash and many of the above. I wrote the names on the TP and PT rolls in thick permanent markers before loading them with the soil.

Place them standing up into One of those plastic coffee cans (5 holes in the bottom) and watered with a measuring (1)cup as to not over water them. The lids served as water drainers. If you like to start 6-8 TP rolls of one kind, you can write the name on the outside of the plastic can. I've used crafting/ice cream sticks from the dollar store to tag them too.

Remember, the roots will grow down before spreading out. Usually timed by 6-8 weeks.

~* Robin
Old April 6, 2009   #9
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Over the last few years I have started my cuke seeds about the time I do my tomatoes...which has resulted in some large cuke plants when I finally get them in the ground. I have had no problems with my transplants. Only problem is they all seem to die off about the same time...leaving me at the end of the summer with no cukes.

Last year I got smart and decided to direct sow some cuke seeds in early June. They grew very nicely and started to set fruit about the time when the other plants were winding down. We had a pretty warm fall and I had cukes well into September.