Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 2, 2010   #1
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Default My Zuc plant has BER :-(

Anything I can do to save it?
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2010   #2
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Was just reading that maybe they arent getting pollinated. I guess I'll hand pollinating. Its going to be hard as the plants are so big.
Old June 2, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qweniden View Post
Was just reading that maybe they arent getting pollinated. I guess I'll hand pollinating. Its going to be hard as the plants are so big.
it's not uncommon for summer squash to develop BER for the same reasons that tomatoes do. Cabbage and cauliflower and peppers, for instance, canalso develop BER.

And if it's BER the ends will have a dark brown to blackish area but if it's just a lack of pollination the ends of the infant squash will just look withered.

Be sure that you have both male and female blossoms on the plants before you think of hand pollinating, which is something I never had to do.
Old June 2, 2010   #4
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
it's not uncommon for summer squash to develop BER for the same reasons that tomatoes do. Cabbage and cauliflower and peppers, for instance, canalso develop BER.

And if it's BER the ends will have a dark brown to blackish area but if it's just a lack of pollination the ends of the infant squash will just look withered.

Be sure that you have both male and female blossoms on the plants before you think of hand pollinating, which is something I never had to do.
Yeah, its black and rotten looking at the end

Can I salvage them? Not all the fruits have it.
Old June 3, 2010   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have never experienced BER on any squash before but I have had tomato varieties that displayed BER early in the season and then it resolved on its own, producing normal fruit the remainder of the time. Any fruit that doesn't have it is fine to eat.
Old June 3, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No, you can't salvage the fruits that have it, just remove them from the vines.

But as long as you have both male and female blossoms on your squash plants the insects will do the pollinating as they normally do and the next set of squash will probably be OK.

The same stresses that induce BER in tomatoes are the ones that do it for other crops including your zukes, and similar to the situation with tomatoes, as those stresses disappear with time the BER will go away.

Next thing I'll read here is that you'll be posting that you have too many zukes.