Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 2, 2006   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default Shipping seedlings successfully???

Need input. I'm thinking of shipping a few heirloom tomato seedlings to a cousin in OK this springtime. How to best do that? Bare root, wrapped in damp paper towels inside plastic baggie & mailed "Priority"??? Would appreciate input.
Old February 2, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tomatoes are tricky - bareroot can work, but there is risk (I've seen them come that way healthy as well as dead). I now use the Fusion technique (he of GW fame). Seedling in a 4 inch pot, sturdy box with "wine dividers" with the same dimension (so pots fit snugly inside) - I use wide tape over the top of the pot on either side of the stem to keep the soil ball inside the pot. Then the key modification that I discovered last year - make thin wood dowels that are exactly the height of the box. Push one into each pot - when you close up the box, the top of the box secures the top of the dowel, which keeps the pot stationary. As long as you have the pots taped to secure the soil, this will ensure success even if the box is tipped on its side or upside down. I shipped 16 plants to my dad this way (be sure the plants are well watered, and place a sheet of Saran Wrap under the pots to prevent the box from becoming soggy and disintegrating.). The only downside is that this is somewhat expensive when you ship lots, paying for the weight of the wet soil. Still - it works like a charm.
Old February 2, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Craig says:
Tomatoes are tricky - bareroot can work, but there is risk (I've seen them come that way healthy as well as dead). I now use the Fusion technique (he of GW fame). Seedling in a 4 inch pot, sturdy box with "wine dividers" with the same dimension (so pots fit snugly inside)

Craig, where do you get the dividers?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2006   #4
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

suze..... The "wine dividers" come in the cases of wine that we buy from a wine store.
Old February 2, 2006   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

suze..... The "wine dividers" come in the cases of wine that we buy from a wine store.

But Larry, I don't normally buy cases of wine.

Oh the other hand, they might be willing to part with extras at a liquor store...

I was hoping Craig might know of another source to get that general type of divider. Or maybe Fusion (if he's reading).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2006   #6
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

suze... In that case, I think you might actually be able to construct them from cardboard boxes.
Old February 2, 2006   #7
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

I've gotten some dividers at the local Aldi store.
They come with a case of Apple Sauce.
This would allow for shipping 12 seedlings in a single
box.

Check with you local grocery manager when their truck comes in. You could ask them if anything they receive comes with dividers like your looking for. (Most likely glass jar items would be your best source for this.)

Good luck,

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote