Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 26, 2017   #496
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I called our Homeowners insurance agent this week and asked how our coverage worked. We would be covered for any wind damage from a hurricane and water damage from rain if the roof was damaged or the walls blown out but we would not be covered if we had any flooding. Special flood insurance is needed for that. I also found out that mud slides or other earth movement like earthquakes are not covered. I was not expecting that.

Our home owners insurance $548/yr
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #497
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

These people have so many loopholes you could make a sweater.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #498
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

yep to both. I did know about the wind damage and would cover not flood damage. we had our pressure tank explode one day. ruined everything in the downstairs. since it was clean water from our well and not dirty water from flooding it was covered. I don't think ours covers if the siding is ripped off. but shingles are... loopholes loopholes. earthquake damage is a separate policy....flooding separate policy... if you have a fire .... let it burn. no reason to repair the unrepairable because they think it is repairable. I have a friend that had a house fire a few years ago... oyvey... they should have started over. it is a mess. do you also know the foundation is not part of the policy if you have a fire? they won't pay for new excavation and replacement of it.

Last edited by clkeiper; September 27, 2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: confusing thought clarified
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #499
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Because we don't have a fence and live right in town the neighbors now think our backyard is a pass thru to go to town. They cross our yard and go right into the church acreage back there and over to the fast food places. This neighbor is about 4 houses away from us and I halted him and asked his purpose for being in my backyard. I was out there by the way so I saw him. He said just going to get some food. I said no, you are going to turn around and get in your car and drive or walk around. Sheesh, I swear people just do whatever they want around here.

On another note:

When we first moved in we noticed a gate in the back fence to go into the churches yard. It was closed off and unable to be used. It wasn't long before we had neighborhood kids wanting to go through our backyard, and through the gate to get themselves some fast food. Hubby told them there is a gate but it's closed off. So, I don't know how long it had been closed off, but is obvious people want to use our property to go to town, instead of going around.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 27, 2017 at 12:13 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #500
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Charge a toll.

Worth
Old September 27, 2017   #501
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

When I was a child my grandparents had a backyard that was butted up against an apartment complex... my grandpa did not want them traipsing through his yard. he sat out there daily and ran them off. nope no way. they would destroy things and ruin his garden and pick the raspberries...grrr.

time to get a fence up though. fences make the best neighbors... even if it is as simple as electric. it visibly shows the boundaries to reminds people where they can be or not be. you can even get a solar fencer for about 100.00 that doesn't need to be plugged in to work. we use one for all of our corn for the summer. seems to work real well to keep varmint out.

Last edited by clkeiper; September 27, 2017 at 07:54 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #502
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
These people have so many loopholes you could make a sweater.
Worth
I am not sticking up for the insurance companies here but you really do need to understand what is included in your policy before you need it. This is why I called my agent this past week, just to be sure that I was clear on what coverage I have.

These companies need to draw the line somewhere and it's all in writing in your policy when you purchase it.

People try to file claims for all kinds of things that are really home maintenance. For example they don't take care of their roof and let ordinary repairs like missing or broken shingles go undone. Then when they have water damage they want the insurance company to pay for it.

Or their furnace breaks down and they try to make a claim. Burst pipes are covered but letting your bathtub overflow is not. These things are regular home maintenance so I can see the insurance company's side of these issues too.
Old September 27, 2017   #503
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I am not sticking up for the insurance companies here but you really do need to understand what is included in your policy before you need it. This is why I called my agent this past week, just to be sure that I was clear on what coverage I have.

These companies need to draw the line somewhere and it's all in writing in your policy when you purchase it.

People try to file claims for all kinds of things that are really home maintenance. For example they don't take care of their roof and let ordinary repairs like missing or broken shingles go undone. Then when they have water damage they want the insurance company to pay for it.

Or their furnace breaks down and they try to make a claim. Burst pipes are covered but letting your bathtub overflow is not. These things are regular home maintenance so I can see the insurance company's side of these issues too.
You pay for what you get.
If it seems to be too cheap or too good to be true then look out.
I wont tell who I am covered by or how much but I have never had a problem.
My house and vehicles are through them.
Then I have separate insurance for other things like the AC breaking down.
Old September 27, 2017   #504
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Today they picked up the huge debris pile in our yard. Tomorrow they will be back for the next one that's sitting out back. Those are some huge trucks they use with a claw hand to pick stuff up.
We had a lot of those claw trucks here and they get things picked up and hauled off in a hurry. Rock, where are they putting all of that debris? That's gotta be a huge issue.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #505
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I called our Homeowners insurance agent this week and asked how our coverage worked. We would be covered for any wind damage from a hurricane and water damage from rain if the roof was damaged or the walls blown out but we would not be covered if we had any flooding. Special flood insurance is needed for that. I also found out that mud slides or other earth movement like earthquakes are not covered. I was not expecting that.

Our home owners insurance $548/yr
From here, that looks really cheap! Ten years ago I was paying double that but it included earthquake coverage to some degree.
There are articles in the news these days about how much more insurance will cost us all as climate changes take place creating more severe storms, floods and fires. Our big cities can't take the runoff from new extra large rain falls due to infrastructure being insufficient causing headaches for property owners and insurance alike but insurance can raise rates.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2017   #506
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
We had a lot of those claw trucks here and they get things picked up and hauled off in a hurry. Rock, where are they putting all of that debris? That's gotta be a huge issue.

There's an atv park they have closed to the public and are loading it all up in that area. You should see what they are doing in Rockport. There are huge dividers between the 35 bypass highway and they have leveled huge areas and are putting piles all over it. Then they are sorting it and have other piles for fence debris, brush, metal, and household items like furniture and appliances.

What a mess this storm has caused.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 27, 2017   #507
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
When I was a child my grandparents had a backyard that was butted up against an apartment complex... my grandpa did not want them traipsing through his yard. he sat out there daily and ran them off. nope no way. they would destroy things and ruin his garden and pick the raspberries...grrr.

time to get a fence up though. fences make the best neighbors... even if it is as simple as electric. it visibly shows the boundaries to reminds people where they can be or not be. you can even get a solar fencer for about 100.00 that doesn't need to be plugged in to work. we use one for all of our corn for the summer. seems to work real well to keep varmint out.
Oh, there will be fences all around. This time everyone will pay their part or there won't be a fence. Plain and simple. See none of my neighbors wanted to pay to put in a fence on either side of us or the church. They don't have a choice now if they want a fence.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 27, 2017   #508
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Two words Doberman Pinscher.
Had one growing up great dogs.

Worth
Old September 27, 2017   #509
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
From here, that looks really cheap! Ten years ago I was paying double that but it included earthquake coverage to some degree.
It probably is really cheap compared to a lot of places. I live in almost rural PA. Lots of farms near here, not in a flood zone, low crime rates, etc.

However in the last several years the storms are growing more fierce and we are even having tornadoes which used to be really rare.

We had to make a large homeowners claim about 3 years ago when a hail storm caused $10,000 in damage to our siding and roof. Insurance paid all but the deductible with no problems though.

Other than that we only had one claim in the last 30 years and that is when our washing machine fill line burst and flooded the family room. It was also paid with no problems.
Old September 27, 2017   #510
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Dobies are wonderful, intelligent, and gentle dogs. But like "pit bulls", way too many people buy them for the visual impact and haven't a clue how to train, or even relate to, a dog.

They would, in any case, make a fenced area impregnable.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote