Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2015   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I think that you and USDA seed bank are exception to the rule.
I was only referring to the BACKYARDENERS like myself.
Gardeneer
Well what do you think I was/am?

I wasn't commercial by any means, it just turned out that after I moved back East from Denver to initiallly the old family farm that my backard was bigger than most backyards,

Specifically, I took possesion of the small field that adjoined what we called the big lawn since I knew I could string water out there from the outside faucet at the house, and I did.

I am not a seed bank, I was never commercial, I just liked growing tomatoes and sharing the seeds, whether it was though SSE listings or seed offers here and there, friends and neighbors, whatever, through the years.

Carolyn
Old December 9, 2015   #32
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

I'm battling to get some Bosky Chabarosky seeds going. So far I've been unable to get any to germinate. The seeds are relatively recent as far as I'm aware. So what is the best way to go about it? Soak them until they sink to the bottom of the glass and plant as I normally do(which is in peat pellets inside a humidity dome with a heating pad of sorts underneath.

Locally there is no miracle grow or anything like that available (nitrates predominantly was it?) so I don't know what else is good to add to the water (I dae dish emulsion mentioned earlier as well).

I really want to get these seeds going so hoping I can find a good solution.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What is your soil temperature.
I have sprouted 10 year old seeds with no heating at all in the garage at 60 degrees or so.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #34
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What is your soil temperature.
I have sprouted 10 year old seeds with no heating at all in the garage at 60 degrees or so.
This is the first time I'm having trouble Worth. I would say it's between 20-27 degrees Celsius. We haven't had any cold weather whatsoever recently.
Old December 9, 2015   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
This is the first time I'm having trouble Worth. I would say it's between 20-27 degrees Celsius. We haven't had any cold weather whatsoever recently.
I wish we would have all went to the metric system years ago.

That's around 80 degrees F

I dont guess at the soil temps I have a calibrated thermometer stuck in the soil.
Not saying you are wrong or anything.

How long have they been in?

Worth
Old December 9, 2015   #36
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I wish we would have all went to the metric system years ago.

That's around 80 degrees F

I dont guess at the soil temps I have a calibrated thermometer stuck in the soil.
Not saying you are wrong or anything.

How long have they been in?

Worth
Yes I'll have to call it an educated guess. They have been in for about three weeks now. Some new ones were tried about a week ago. They were in with about 7 other varieties which have all germinated from the exact same setup. Maybe I should just do a new soilless seed mix instead of the peat pellets and see how that goes. :cool:
Old December 9, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In all honesty I wouldn't give up on them, I have given up and had the things sprout a month later.

Worth
Old December 9, 2015   #38
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Definitely not giving up on them. They're still chugging along.
Old December 9, 2015   #39
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My average germination is 6 days.
Optimum soil temperature 75F. But you can do it at 65F but then it might take 10 -12 days.
So, you can sow in room temperature and just forget it ( but keep the soil moist, not soggy).
That is for tomatoes. Peppers and eggplants need 85F . That is why you need heat mat.
All these year I have had trouble germinating 2 varieties. One was ARBUZNYI. I succeeded at the third time. BUT the plant turned out a MULE>

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm battling to get some Bosky Chabarosky seeds going. So far I've been unable to get any to germinate. The seeds are relatively recent as far as I'm aware. So what is the best way to go about it? Soak them until they sink to the bottom of the glass and plant as I normally do(which is in peat pellets inside a humidity dome with a heating pad of sorts underneath.

Locally there is no miracle grow or anything like that available (nitrates predominantly was it?) so I don't know what else is good to add to the water (I dae dish emulsion mentioned earlier as well).

PLease let me ask few questions first.

How many other varieties are you germinating at the same time and are all germinating except the one you mention?

To me that's the most important issue having to do with how you germinate varieties.

And if it is Only that one variety, where did you get the seed from, a reliable seed vendor in which case you can contact that source and ask if they have had any comments back on that variety and if they are honest vendors they will answer you,if not they will say,no we have no reports back like that OR via trade where most of the time little to no info is given and all bets are off.

Carolyn
Old December 9, 2015   #41
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Crap. Are those from me? I think I've seen pics of plants from Bosky seed I sent out this fall, so I hope I don't have bad seeds. I can certainly test a few to see. If mine germinate and yours don't, I can send you more.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Crap. Are those from me? I think I've seen pics of plants from Bosky seed I sent out this fall, so I hope I don't have bad seeds. I can certainly test a few to see. If mine germinate and yours don't, I can send you more.
We posted just a few minutes apart and I'm glad that you did b'c I totally forgot that many folks here at Tville and elsewhere make seed offers, some for trade, and some not, and not all the time has a person who makes a seed offer actually grown what they offer nor even tried to germinate them. Not referring to you kohlrabi, not at all.

Stuff happens.

Carolyn, who knows of two folks who buy seeds for this and that and actually said they wanted to use them to barter for different varieties.
Old December 9, 2015   #43
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I will plant a 6-pack of them tonight, and we will find out. And I'll still replace them either way.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #44
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Time to dust off my pack of Ace 55 from '65.

(I wish I had kept it in the freezer for the past few years)

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #45
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

I have found the bleach method to be the best for waking up old seeds: http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx

In addition I use a heated propagator.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote