Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2015   #16
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Him Chanjet, would love to see pix too. It's January and mighty cold outside. Please give us pictures and help me through the month. Thanks!
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #17
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Chanjet, I would also love to see pics of your tomatoes. Its best to upload your pictures to an online host like Flickr.com and then link the pictures from there. PM me if you need help.
Old January 18, 2015   #18
Chanjet
Tomatovillian™

Default My Tomato plants

14922830330_3244a18ca5_q.jpg

14282559579_a9b64bf472_q.jpg
Chanjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #19
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Wow, gorgeous! Both pics. I may have to head east. I am still a beginner, but know a nice tomato when I see one.

Last edited by sdambr; January 18, 2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 18, 2015   #20
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Yes, good pix! Glad you were able to get them posted.

I was out on the North Fork today and picked up on this event in the local paper if anyone is interested.
Long Island Regional Seed Consortium Seed Swap - Saturday, 02/07/2015

1:30pm - Basic Seed Saving Class 2-4pm - SWAP Riverhead Campus, Shinnecock Science Building.
http://www.lirsc.org/#!events/cyuv

I can't seem to find the article on the Suffolk Times website (it might not be up yet on the web) but it would be worth going to this event just to talk to Steph Gaylor and Ken Ettilnger.

Ken has been around a long time, professor of botany, and also ran the LI seed project. He also holds a place in the history of Brandywine.
http://www.liseed.org/

Steph is a local farmer, and tomatohead like the rest of us:
http://www.northforkseeds.com/
http://www.invinciblesummerfarms.com/#!plants/c1oxd
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #21
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Thank you James for that information. I am going to see if I can get out there, sounds very interesting and I am sure I have a lot to learn.
Old January 27, 2015   #22
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone!

Thanks JamesL- for the invite, I've been so busy I do not know which way is up. However, with all the snow, I do have time to sit down and at least breath..

I just briefly looked over the first post here, this is nice.

I am starting my hot+ sweet peppers, onions, and eggplants tonight. I may start my tomatoes as well come to think of it. I planted them out in April, lost maybe two but they did very well overall.

Melissa

Last edited by raindrops27; January 27, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #23
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Glad you jumped in Melissa! Wow, you get going early!

Everyone do ok with the snow?
Old January 30, 2015   #24
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

wow I'm especially surprised you can plant out as soon as April. I am not even as far west as you and last year I was still nervous when I got them out the first week of May! I was biting my nails - lol

James, the snow was not bad at all. I was glad for the day off from work though...

Last edited by luigiwu; January 30, 2015 at 08:07 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #25
Chanjet
Tomatovillian™

Looking for a garden in Holbrook L I that i could use for the summer. I live in an apartment with limited space. (enough for 4 plants) . I will share the results.
Chanjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #26
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

That's a tough one. Is there a local community center nearby where you could ask?
Town of Brookhaven has community garden spots.
http://www.brookhaven.org/Department...doptASpot.aspx
Old February 5, 2015   #27
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
wow I'm especially surprised you can plant out as soon as April. I am not even as far west as you and last year I was still nervous when I got them out the first week of May! I was biting my nails - lol

James, the snow was not bad at all. I was glad for the day off from work though...
Yes, last year I planted out mid, to end of April. I planted eggplants, onions, hot+ sweet peppers, tomatoes, beans, cabbage, and peas. I lost two tomato plants, the others thrived. The eggplants sat in the ground until the temps warmed. The beans, cabbage starts, and peas were pretty much demolished by what seemed like the ever increasing bunny, and squirrel families. The hot and sweet pepper sat as well, but they were the biggest pepper plants I've ever grew. Everything else, corn, squash, cukes, melons were all planted May 7th..

However, the corn was mysteriously destroyed by I have no idea what.. My husband put a wire fence around all of the corn, with poles and wire sunk in by a foot, railroad ties completing it. Absolutely no dig holes were found around the fence, yet every single sweet corn stalk would grow 3 feet tall, only to be e shredded or slashed about 6 inches above the soil. It actually looked like they were slashed with a sickle, straight across with precision. I was so upset over it, but I am going to try again.. I am thinking maybe I will encase the whole fence, somehow.. I do not know how yet, any ideas on how to enclose the fence, or what could have caused such damage?
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #28
surf4grrl
Tomatovillian™

Default LIRSC seed swap

Steph Gaylor here - sorry I don't log into Tomatoville that often and I just saw this!

Thank you!

YES we are having a butt kicking seed swap this Saturday - Ken Ettlinger and I will be there with rarities from our private collections. Plus we have alot of donations from other seed companies. It's a free event, even if you don't have seeds - you will walk away with something.

I will post pics here after - always feel to contact me at my farm address steph@invinciblesummerfarms.com or through our new seed company northforkseeds.com as I don't come here as often as I would like because farming season is killer and we do it year round. We moved to much larger farm this fall, so our work is cut out for us.

Also LIRSC.org (Long Island Regional Seed Consortium) has gone live) and we have programming for the coming year.

Anyone interested in going this Saturday check out lirsc.org for details - if you do stop by please introduce yourself!
surf4grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #29
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Steph,
Great! I believe I am going to be in attendance.
And who is writing their stuff? This cracked me up.
http://www.lirsc.org/#!swapfaq/c1y8f
What am I not allowed to bring?
Invasives, hybrid F1’s, old seed that won’t germinate, the mean neighbor who no one likes, and pirates.

If anyone else is considering going chime in and we will try to connect.
Old February 5, 2015   #30
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
However, the corn was mysteriously destroyed by I have no idea what.. My husband put a wire fence around all of the corn, with poles and wire sunk in by a foot, railroad ties completing it. Absolutely no dig holes were found around the fence, yet every single sweet corn stalk would grow 3 feet tall, only to be e shredded or slashed about 6 inches above the soil. It actually looked like they were slashed with a sickle, straight across with precision. I was so upset over it, but I am going to try again.. I am thinking maybe I will encase the whole fence, somehow.. I do not know how yet, any ideas on how to enclose the fence, or what could have caused such damage?
Cutworms?!?

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/black-cutworm

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/fqpa/cro...es/swcorn.html