Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2013   #1
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden dwarf champ vs Mini Gold vs Gold Nugget?

I'm trying to work out a garden plan for my son's preschool, and so I have two questions:

1. Do determinate tomatoes still need about 24" spacing? if I have a 5x2 space would it work to fit three in there if I put two in the back on the sides and one in the middle front?

2. If I dont have room for all three, which of the following yellow determinate varieties would you recommend? I've never tried any, so I'd really value input from anyone who has tried them, or even tried several of them.

Thanks!
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Golden Dwarf Champion will have 3-5 oz fruit. Whereas, Mini Gold is a dwarf sized cherry. I'm not familiar with Gold Nugget.

In your 5' X 2' bed, I would stop at two Golden Dwarf Champion plants (They can get to 4 feet tall with lots of branches), or possibly as many as 5 Mini Gold plants.

GWC has a wonderful sweet and "old fashioned" flavor. Mini Gold is more tart and is best when it is "dead ripe".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Gold nugget is a typical cherry type plant. Because it's determinate tho, it doesn't get quite as big and sprawly as a full season cherry. It WILL be early to die off, but it will give you fruit at least a week before other varieties like Sun Gold.

One thing ai don't particularly like about Gold nugget tho is the fact that as the plant gets older, much of the fruit will get those ugly rusty spots on them like many yellows can get. Yellow Plum is another variety that gets rusty spots a lot.

Frankly I would give up Gold Nugget but plenty of plant customers want it because it is so early.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #4
shule1

Gold Nugget is also parthenocarpic and said to be very productive.
Old December 8, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Back to original question"

In a 5ft x 2ft bed I can plan 3 ANY KIND of tomato variety, as long as they are caged or staked and the lower leaf branches are pruned . This excludes letting the plants sprawl.
I would plant the biggest one in the center and the smaller ones on each ends.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote