Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2011   #1
araskathryn
Tomatovillian™

Default Kellogg's Beefsteak, Breakfast, KBX

Are Kellog's Beefsteak and Kellog's Breakfast the same? Is KBX an abbreviation for Kellog's Breakfast?
Thanks for any info!
araskathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #2
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Don't know about Kellogg's Beefsteak. KBX is potato leaf version of Kellogg's Breakfast but consdiered more productive as far as I know.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by araskathryn View Post
Are Kellog's Beefsteak and Kellog's Breakfast the same? Is KBX an abbreviation for Kellog's Breakfast?
Thanks for any info!
Darrell Kellogg named the variety Kellogg's Breakfast. I've not seen anyone refer to it as Kellogg's Beefsteak. May I please ask where you saw that name?

As said above KBX is the term Martha H used when she found the PL version of it quite a few years ago. The history of it is at Tania's Tomato data base.

Some think KB and KBX are the same except for leaf form, others say KBX produces more, but almost everyone I know if says they taste the same.
Old February 21, 2011   #4
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Growing both for about 4 years now I say they taste the same but KBX is a healthier plant here in Humidville, Delaware and thus more tomatoes. Plus, CRUDless...;-)
Old February 21, 2011   #5
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I have had only limited luck with KBX! one plant died and had one unbelievably perfect tom. and one plant produced a small amount of fruit. On the other hand my KB really produced well. At least 4 times the fruit and after 6 months of living is still pumping out fruit and is about 8 ft. tall.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

After having grown both for a number of years (my original seed for KBX coming from Martha H), statistically both KB and KBX are identical except for leaf form. For me, plant health is also identical and flavor is excellent for both. One of the best tasting tomatoes in my garden.
Old February 21, 2011   #7
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried Orange Minsk? Carolyn turned me on to that one and it is a workhorse and my first Orange to ripen, way ahead Of KB or KBX! The flavor is right up there too!
Old February 21, 2011   #8
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

Humidville, Delaware? You have nothing on HotWetBlanket, Florida!
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011   #9
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

And I bet the stink bugs are at least twice as big down there too!
Old February 21, 2011   #10
araskathryn
Tomatovillian™

I bought a packet of seeds from a local retailer, thinking it was Kellogg's Breakfast. Days later, I looked at my packet again, and noticed it said "Beefsteak". "Hmm," I thought, "I thought the variety was called Kellogg's Breakfast." When I double-checked, I was right - what I wanted was Kellogg's Breakfast, but what I have in the packet is Kellogg's Beefsteak.

Orange Minsk...I'll have to try that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Darrell Kellogg named the variety Kellogg's Breakfast. I've not seen anyone refer to it as Kellogg's Beefsteak. May I please ask where you saw that name?

As said above KBX is the term Martha H used when she found the PL version of it quite a few years ago. The history of it is at Tania's Tomato data base.

Some think KB and KBX are the same except for leaf form, others say KBX produces more, but almost everyone I know if says they taste the same.
Old March 2, 2011   #11
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Bigdaddy! the stink bugs are in full force out here the last week or so now. They suck on the tomatoes out here and ruin them. That is why I grow my main crop from middle Oct. untill now when they are not around. I could not do this without a greenhouse that is heavily ventilated like what I have. When people say we have two seasons of growing, they have probably never grown out here!! lol unless you count 60 days as a growing season that is. Show me an heirloom that can produce in 60 days (before the freezes start) please?? lol again!!
Old March 2, 2011   #12
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

beefy, the other day it was a nice warm freakish late February day here in Delaware and I was sitting outside. THREE stinkbugs landed on my table. In February! It's epidemic here...
Old March 2, 2011   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdaddyJ View Post
beefy, the other day it was a nice warm freakish late February day here in Delaware and I was sitting outside. THREE stinkbugs landed on my table. In February! It's epidemic here...
I think they're leaving their indoor overwintering spots and getting ready to increase the population again. Cleaned the attic out this week and they were stuck inside of every little nook and cranny they could find. I'm sure I killed hundreds. Each day that the temps reach the upper 40's, they've been waking up and making their way downstairs...ugh!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2011   #14
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Kath, my neighbors went in their attic this winter and swore it looked like a scene from a Stephen King novel! I won't go up into mine. It would take me days to begin sleeping agaon...LOL

I may try this next year but unless my whole neighborhood also does it's probably futile:

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d...you_delaw.html
Old March 3, 2011   #15
araskathryn
Tomatovillian™

Default stinkbugs

Yikes! That really stinks! It is a little pricey, but have any of you considered or tried beneficial parasitic nematodes? They kill unwanted insects, but leave desirable ones (such as lady bugs) alone. Last year, I was unable to keep up with the raspberry picking. I don't know what the insect is called, but a proliferation of brown, spider-looking insects sucked the ripe raspberries into mush - similar to what happens to your tomatoes, whenever I did not get to the raspberries soon enough. Near the end, there were so many of the bugs that I was losing tons of raspberries no matter how often I checked and picked. This year, to help with those insects, japanese beetles, grasshoppers, ants, and what I believe are cucumber beetles (nasty little creatures attacking my zucchinis), we are going to apply the beneficial nematodes. We will only do one application, and will probably not be able to do our whole yard, but we will at least distribute them around the areas where we grow crops and wherever else we can. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem for this year and put a big dent in it for next year. Anyhow, ARBICO organics sells them - they could probably tell you whether the nematodes attack stink bugs. There is a really long list of undesirable insects they attack.