Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2010   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default "Aerogarden" Does anyone have personal experience with one of these?

I have a life-long friend who is a chef and owns her own catering business. I am thinking of getting her the "Pro" model of Aerogarden for fresh herbs in her kitchen. They are "spendy"(Over 200.00) and I would like to know if they are all they claim to be before purchasing one.
Old January 4, 2010   #2
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

nah if anything just get/assemble her a table top grow lights system - needs a stand (hydrogarden style_ then get lights but don't get 2 bulb system get a 4 bulb setup in 2' or 4' length - adjustable height by chain - can use starter bulbs and growing bulbs and just get trays and inserts - will give her lots more coverage with 2' than 4 Aerogardens combined - better lighting and flexibility - though not as retro looking
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I fought the wife on this issue for "a while". She finally got one anyhow and I decided to give it the old college try. The fresh basil grew so well that she had to freeze some. The chives, mint, dill, oregano did well, but the cilantro was a dismal failure.

Overall, I'd give it a high grade for the "home garden". But, if your friend is trying to support a restaurant, I don't think one aerogarden can keep up with that kind of demand. Of course, additional aerogardens can be added. Maintenance is simply check for a light that comes on when the liquid needs another set of tablets (nutrients), and once a day topping off the water.

Other than that, it's a "no-brainer".

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! She is "Gardening Challenged" so I thought that one of these might be easy for her. I figured if she liked it, she could buy others. I will think over the alternative. It's a good thing she is a wonderful chef because she does nothing else very well!
Old January 4, 2010   #5
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

BB, we discussed this a few months ago: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=aerogarden

My opinion, basically, is that while they aren't perfect, they're pretty handy -- especially for me, as I don't have the tools or know-how to set up anything on my own (yet). The basil is really wonderful, much better than even the live stuff you can get at the grocery store. Since basil is why I bought it, I don't have an opinion on any of the other things you can grow. They came up. I didn't use them.

According to what I've read online, cilantro is one of the more problematic herbs. But IIRC, they're no longer including it in the basic herb kits. I have some parsley growing now, which is doing pretty well. But the basil! mamma mia. And a caterer needs fresh basil.

As it happens, Aerogarden is having a sale now, and the Pro model is out of stock. It doesn't impress me much anyway. I have a basic "6" model. But they do have the Deluxe on sale for about $150, and that one sounds better -- more light, longer arm, etc.

Christine

P.S. Ted, is it still keeping you up at night?
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks CDBVA! I think easier is better for her. I know she complains about having to buy basil all the time. Living in Wyoming, everything has to be trucked in and is NEVER fresh. Maybe, if it's easy enough, she will like it enough to buy others. These sounded "non-gardening person friendly". She lives on 200 acres and does not have a vegetable garden...which should be against the law!
Old January 5, 2010   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbva View Post
P.S. Ted, is it still keeping you up at night?
No, thankfully, we are in between crops right now.

Ted, who is catching up on his "practice naps."
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote