Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2008   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default "CARROT"

Is the proper name Carrot-Like, or is there a variety named "Carrot". I received "carrot" in a trade, and thought that the proper name is Carrot-Like.

Thanks, Kim
Old April 9, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible View Post
Is the proper name Carrot-Like, or is there a variety named "Carrot". I received "carrot" in a trade, and thought that the proper name is Carrot-Like.

Thanks, Kim
I grew Carrot-Like many years ago and when Silvery Fir Tree became available, and both originated in the former Soviet Union, and I grew that one to me they were identical. And many folks would agree with me.

But we've had this discussion here before, you might try a search, b'c Andrey feels very strongly that they aren't the same even they look the same, the fruits are about the same and all else is the same, as far as I could tell.
Old April 9, 2008   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn - I knew there were other threads .., I'll do some homework!
Old April 10, 2008   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/Carrot-Like

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And per Tania's Link, my seeds were from Seeds Blum who as far as I know were the first to offer it, in the late 80's and yes, I did distribute some of those seeds when I started doing seed offers.

I probably still have a vial with those seeds in it somewhere.

Craig didn't go to Campout at SSE until the early to mid 90's as I recall, and what he may have seen was Silvery Fir Tree. Only he knows for sure.

I say that only b'c in the 1996 Yearbook there are lots of listers for SFT, which was introduced by SSE in 1995, seeds from Marie Danilenko in the former Soviet Union who was their contact, but there are no listings for Carrot-Like.

I looked at the 1994 Yearbook and of course no SFT listings and one listing for a variety called Carrot, but it was a long red paste variety, not globe shaped as are Carrot-like and SFT and it had an accession # that would have put it into the system shortly after SSE started in 1975.
Old April 10, 2008   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yep - I actually went to the campout in 1993 and saw Carrot Like growing in their gardens. I requested seed during the campout and was sent a sample early in 1994 by David Cavagnero.
Old April 10, 2008   #7
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

How does Russian #33 offered by Sand Hill Preservation fit in, if at all? I'm only going by the description which refers to that distinctive plant growth/leaf shape seen on SFT, not by growing experience. Been tempted to try it, if only for breeding purposes.

Jennifer
Old April 10, 2008   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

My point of view is that Morkovnyi ("Carrot-Like" in English) is a commercial strain of Serebristaya Yel ("Silvery Fir Tree" in English). We know SY (SFT) much longer (at least from 1980s) than M (CL) here in former USSR.
I should admit it once again here that Morkovnyi was much taller (with bigger fruits) for me than Serebristaya Yel when I grew them side-by-side last year...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdntomato View Post
How does Russian #33 offered by Sand Hill Preservation fit in, if at all? I'm only going by the description which refers to that distinctive plant growth/leaf shape seen on SFT, not by growing experience. Been tempted to try it, if only for breeding purposes.

Jennifer
I have no idea what it is other than Russian # 33 with dissected foliage and small red fruits.

I looked in a couple of earlier Yearbooks and don't see it although I saw a Russian #2.

Why not go ahead and try it and compare it with Carrot-Like and SFT?

And when the winter winds doth blow you might ask Glenn where he got it from and when he got it.