Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 15, 2017   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Sue RL

One of my Sweet Sues came up RL instead of PL, so I grew that plant out in a bucket. It is a dwarf. I am just now picking ripe fruit. I have tried to account for a possible seed mix-up. The closest guess I can make to it being a sowing error is Wherokowhai. But I don't think that is what it is. My Wherokowhai expresses color in more of a swirl than in stripes. This fruit is obviously bi-color, leaning more towards the red side. Sweet Sue will blush red, but is more yellow.

So I think I have a new variety? Maybe it is an accidental cross, or it could theoretically be a natural mutation too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170615_18390322.jpg (203.4 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; June 15, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #2
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

My Wherokowhai fruits look exactly like the one on the right in your photo.
How does it taste? Mine are almost dead ringer for Lucky Cross.

Last edited by TC_Manhattan; June 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Screwed up on direction.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think it may actually be Sweet Adelaide, or at least it looks just like my Sweet Adelaide from the garden.

I cut the ripest fruit open just now and it had black mold inside
Old June 17, 2017   #4
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Aww, too bad about the mold.

Not being familiar with Sweet Adelaide, I looked it up on Tatiana's, and it's a cross between NBD and Paul Robeson. Photos show a dark red (pink!) fruit, no stripes.

Do you think it's a cross?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sweet_Adelaide
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You have some remaining instability - very cool - like a Dwarf Emerald Giant (same family) with significant blushing. How does it taste? Save seed - you have something very new and different!
Old June 22, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
You have some remaining instability - very cool - like a Dwarf Emerald Giant (same family) with significant blushing. How does it taste? Save seed - you have something very new and different!

Well, you would be the one who would be the authority on such things. The fruit will turn fully pink and the stripes disappear when very ripe. But it never gets as red as Tania's pics of Sweet Adelaide. I had written it off as a labeling error, but maybe it really is something new. I still have more fruit on the plant to sample and save seed.
Old June 22, 2017   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sweet Adelaide is a pretty standard medium to medium large pink - I've never seen it look like that! Ah, regular leaf - so would be a highly blushed Summertime Green!

It really doesn't surprise me when our released dwarfs toss off an occasional oddity - we've never had the person power and acreage to do hundred plus plant selections and culls.

But that's fine with me - the pay is lousy (as in zero!) We are doing quite fine!
Old June 25, 2017   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm still thinking it is Sweet Adelaide. In the pic below, the top tomato is Sweet Adelaide from my garden. The other fruit are from my bucket plant I thought was Sweet Sue RL. Something about growing it in a bucket seems to be making it streak like that when it begins to blush. But the streaking nearly disappears when ripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170625_124513.jpg (146.0 KB, 54 views)
Old June 25, 2017   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yessiree - they look like Sweet Adelaide - lovely ones...what do you think of the flavor?
Old June 28, 2017   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had my first one just now, Craig. It was delicious. I'd call it one of the best pinks I have ever eaten.
Old June 28, 2017   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Great news! Patrina and Jeff Casey did the lion share of work on it - I really do like it, but it tends to get lost with the rush of new varieties.

A Sweet Adelaide vs Rosella Crimson grow-off and taste-off would be fun (maybe throw TastyWine in as well!)