Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 28, 2008   #1
karpes
Tomatovillian™

Default Do you cover your tomatoes with visqueen?

I have had a very good year with tomatoes but now that it’s raining so much my pick bucket is mostly empty. Even the green tomatoes will rot. In the last two weeks I have recorded 11 inches of rain. The vines are still growing , producing flowers but no fruit set. Humidity is very high , but there is nothing I can do to correct that. I could control the amount of water to the plants with poly or visqueen but would this improve fruit set? My guess is that I would have less fruit rot since I could better control irrigation. Karpes
karpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2008   #2
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I routinely every year near the end of the season cover my plants with visqueen, but I am covering for frost protection.

Good luck and I am sure it would help with the rain.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2008   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, high temperatures along with high humidity generally spells "clumpy pollen", and that means no pollination and no fruit set.

If "Gustav" does what they think, you're about to get a whole lot wetter. Take care of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpes View Post
.....I have recorded 11 inches of rain. The vines are still growing , producing flowers but no fruit set. Humidity is very high , but there is nothing I can do to correct that. I could control the amount of water to the plants with poly or visqueen but would this improve fruit set? ...... Karpes
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote