Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 22, 2014   #1
jcrous
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumber Varieties

I am a cucumber enthusiast

I have bought seed of various open pollinated varieties.

My favourites are Kyoto and Tanja (Long varieties - 12 - 14 inches) - in our hot climate they bear shorter but thicker fruit. These varieties are however not resistant to any diseases.

I Also have Poinsett and Marketmore 76, both which are shorter varieties but resistant to a lot of diseases. These last two are ridge cucumbers but they can be trellised.

I would like to know the following:

1) Varieties that you recommend that will perform and be resistant to diseases (not bitter skin). I do not mind if it is ridge varieties. I want both standard and long varieties.

2) Open polinated tunnel cucumbers (English cucumbers). These I know will not be resistant to diseases.

I do not want any F1 hybrids. Those I can buy locally.

Johan Crous
jcrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2014   #2
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

My poinsett did great last year. They continued through the summer texas heat and continued producing into the fall. Very resistant to disease and taste good also.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2014   #3
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i had great results with armenian yard long cucumbers. it's pretty hot here in the summer and they did very well, i can't say if they are disease resistant but they thrived in a compost pile with little attention even when other cucurbits were besieged with stink bugs
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2014   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrous View Post
I am a cucumber enthusiast

I have bought seed of various open pollinated varieties.

My favourites are Kyoto and Tanja (Long varieties - 12 - 14 inches) - in our hot climate they bear shorter but thicker fruit. These varieties are however not resistant to any diseases.

I Also have Poinsett and Marketmore 76, both which are shorter varieties but resistant to a lot of diseases. These last two are ridge cucumbers but they can be trellised.

I would like to know the following:

1) Varieties that you recommend that will perform and be resistant to diseases (not bitter skin). I do not mind if it is ridge varieties. I want both standard and long varieties.

2) Open polinated tunnel cucumbers (English cucumbers). These I know will not be resistant to diseases.

I do not want any F1 hybrids. Those I can buy locally.

This is my favorite cucumber. Usually have a bumper crop for about three weeks.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OCIST 5 July 2012 Cucumbers First Picking and Processing
First picking of cucumbers, a quarter bushel or ten pounds were obtained. The cucumbers were made into juice. Annotated pictures depict the process.

I have been doing this for several years. Some years I start some for July planting by preparing four more pots about the 15 of May.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XOYOL 26 July 2007 Cucumbers The cukes are a little larger than desirable, but I didn’t pick due to being away for a few days.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2014   #5
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

My favorites, which are non bitter and burpless(less) varieties of cucumbers are Poona Kheera and Super Zagross Middle Eastern(a Beit Alpha). I have not had any disease issues as long as I trellis my cucumbers.

How do you use the juice?

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2014   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa View Post
My favorites, which are non bitter and burpless(less) varieties of cucumbers are Poona Kheera and Super Zagross Middle Eastern(a Beit Alpha). I have not had any disease issues as long as I trellis my cucumbers.

How do you use the juice?

Dean
I just drink the cucumber juice. It is quite refreshing. One can only make so many pickles.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #7
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Well there are several good op cucumbers that would work. Boston Pickling , Straight Eight and the Market More cucumbers are really good and have stood the test of time. Now I know you said you did not want hybrids but I don't know if you can get this one in Capetown and that would be County Fair. It is a great general use cucumber and bitter free. I have eaten these picked right off the vine peel and all. My best source for it is Jung Seed Company. So if you can or cant get it in Capetown give this one consideration too. You won't be disappointed.

Kevin
Old April 6, 2014   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Johan,

I've got many Russian, Belarusian and some Ukrainian cucumber varieties in my collection. All of them are open polinated picklings and quite disease tolerant.

If you want to test them in African growing conditions let me know your post address by PM.

P.S. There are some improved strains of very old Russian varieties from pre-Soviet era (late 19th-early 20th century): Muromskiy 36 and Vyaznikovskiy 37.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #9
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Beit Alpha is my favorite. I like the fact that it has a very thin skin and tiny seeds. It does well in hot and humid Florida. I use to grow it and Marketmore but since there is only so much space I dropped Marketmore so I could have more Beit Alpha. I got my seeds from Baker Creek.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
i had great results with armenian yard long cucumbers. it's pretty hot here in the summer and they did very well, i can't say if they are disease resistant but they thrived in a compost pile with little attention even when other cucurbits were besieged with stink bugs
I've never killed an Armenian. They have the sweetest fles, never bitter. Even huge ones are good if you remove the seeds. By huge I mean 36" long and 10 pounds!
I had 3 plants in deep shade one year and I was feeding ourselves, making fermented pickles and feeding the chickens.
They're like the zuchinni of the cuke world, although they're actually a melon.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2014   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I've never killed an Armenian. They have the sweetest fruit, never bitter. Even huge ones are good if you remove the seeds. By huge I mean 36" long and 10 pounds!
I had 3 plants in deep shade one year and I was feeding ourselves, making fermented pickles and feeding the chickens.
They're like the zuchinni of the cuke world, although they're actually a melon.
Old April 15, 2014   #12
David Dooley
Tomatovillian™

I grow a few hills of Lemon Cucumbers every year. Chill in the frig and eat with your favorite vinegar. They look like lemons but don't have the flavor.
David Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2014   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I like lemon cucumbers too. They are the only other cucumber that has produced much for me. AZ is not the best place to grow cucumbers. I'm trying Poona kheera this year, as well as lemon cucmber (again) and India gherkin.
I have plenty of Armenian cucumbers planted,too.
Old April 15, 2014   #14
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

Tasty Green has always grown the best for me, I pick the first cukes at about six weeks from planting. Tried some generic Asian suyo types that just didn't grow as well. I planted some mainland variety, Tender Green a couple of months ago, they are only now starting to vine upwards. Love them prepared kimchee style.
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #15
charley
Tomatovillian™

i planted i think it was strait 8 or somthing like that and they all died.but i also planted israeli cantalope and it produced small canalope that i did not care for the tast but it also put out a abundent amount of long 18 to 24 inch cucumbers that were very tasty.so i sent seeds to my brother in north carolina he grew them and only got the cantalope.im growing them agian this year to see if they do the same
charley is offline   Reply With Quote