Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 31, 2016   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I think the gothic arch idea sounds good.

The following paragraph isn't done in any type of arch - just straight T posts and rebar. There are 7 of each per row.

I'm not sure the 3/8 rebar is strong enough to support the weight of foot long beans? I put in T posts today 5' apart in the rows (2 rows 4' apart) I have seven 8' - 3/8 rebar. The soil is so friable I was able to pull the rebar a foot into the ground easily. I wired the rebar to the T posts in 4 places each post. There's no strength on the rebar above the T posts whatsoever. I put it in this way just to see it, and it won't work. The T posts are 5.5' high and would support the pole beans easily.

I know I mentioned most of this earlier in this thread, but today, I put it in and saw that it doesn't work. I'm not sure 3/8 rebar is strong enough to make any type of arches?

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBeQT6kVR_w I like this guy's videos. It looks like 5.5' would be tall enough for some beans. I don't have any of the garden netting mesh. I do have rolls of plastic-coated wire and heavy gauge nylon trotline string.

We are trying not to spend any extra money because we are finally more than keeping the bills paid. It's good seeing "Paid Off" starting to happen.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, I think the gothic arch idea sounds good.

The following paragraph isn't done in any type of arch - just straight T posts and rebar. There are 7 of each per row.

I'm not sure the 3/8 rebar is strong enough to support the weight of foot long beans? I put in T posts today 5' apart in the rows (2 rows 4' apart) I have seven 8' - 3/8 rebar. The soil is so friable I was able to pull the rebar a foot into the ground easily. I wired the rebar to the T posts in 4 places each post. There's no strength on the rebar above the T posts whatsoever. I put it in this way just to see it, and it won't work. The T posts are 5.5' high and would support the pole beans easily.

I know I mentioned most of this earlier in this thread, but today, I put it in and saw that it doesn't work. I'm not sure 3/8 rebar is strong enough to make any type of arches?

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBeQT6kVR_w I like this guy's videos. It looks like 5.5' would be tall enough for some beans. I don't have any of the garden netting mesh. I do have rolls of plastic-coated wire and heavy gauge nylon trotline string.

We are trying not to spend any extra money because we are finally more than keeping the bills paid. It's good seeing "Paid Off" starting to happen.
Salt you know as well as me re-bar sucks for anything but what it was meant to be used for and that is reinforcing concrete by way of tensile strength.
Or short stakes to hold something.

I saw hillbilly trailer made completely out of re-bar what a conglomeration.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw the video and it drives me nuts to see people cut rope like that.
Next time you do it cut it at a slight angle with your foot on the other end.
The knife just flies through it.

Worth
Old March 31, 2016   #19
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Keep me updated on the string hanging down loosely to the ground. I'm wondering how the vines would do in the wind. I have one variety of pole bean the leaves of which can be 12" long and 10" wide. I'm thinking they would want go sailing if they weren't anchored.
Hi Tormato,

The root of the bean plant is the bottom anchor. Once the bean plant grabs the string and climbs, everything tightens up. The string is tied on the top support by a knot so it really works great, basically it's fencing made from string that is as good as any wire trellis. Never had one break or any other issue with wind.
The strings themselves will blow in the breeze until the bean plant grabs it to anchor them which usually happens overnight (I don't hang the strings until the plants are a few inches tall).

I actually cleaned out my beds this past weekend and the strings are still there (supported by dead vine now removed) - a bit tangled at the bottom - I may evaluate and even reuse some of the string this year, but then again string is pretty cheap. We've had some 70+ mph gusts through here this Winter and 15-20 sustained winds is nothing but normal for this area. No issues.

Last edited by rhines81; March 31, 2016 at 10:28 PM.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yeah especially 3/8 rebar - you can bend it with one hand, It worked for morning glories - which surprised me.

We have an arc welder. I've never welded a T post. I guess we could try to add a couple feet that way - I'll have to research it.

Edit: Nope doesn't look that'll work either. T posts are made of s-crap metal.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 31, 2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old March 31, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yeah especially 3/8 rebar - you can bend it with one hand, It worked for morning glories - which surprised me.

We have an arc welder. I've never welded a T post. I guess we could try to add a couple feet that way - I'll have to research it.
If it runs off the utility company watch your electric bill go up.
I use mine sparingly.

Worth
Old April 1, 2016   #22
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I tried using 1/2" diameter conduit poles and parachute chord. The poles are ten feet long. 3 feet in ground, 4 if you count the raised bed. It sagged. This year I replaced the 1/2 inch with 3/4 inch conduit, which cost 6 bucks a pole. Two grades of steel. The thicker poles are 30 dollars each, so i used the thinner steel poles. See how it works. It's only about 7 or 8 feet long. Here it is with the 1/2" poles.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Drew, that is "the picture" I needed to see. It reminded me of some pipes we have stashed away. I had forgotten about them. Thank you Drew.

I'll take pictures once they are in place. Hopefully later today.
Old April 1, 2016   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Drew, that is "the picture" I needed to see. It reminded me of some pipes we have stashed away. I had forgotten about them. Thank you Drew.

I'll take pictures once they are in place. Hopefully later today.
Salt can you explain to me what you are trying to do.
I thought you were going to build a tunnel.

As for Drew's picture all he would of had to do is run a pole across the top.

I put steel rods in the ground and set a trellis on them.
It was 10 feet long and ten feet tall.
All of it was made out of 3/4 ridged conduit.
At the corners at the top I used 90 degree pipe elbows.
I made two of them and set then about four feet apart and grew cucumbers on them.
You dont have to make heavy duty stuff you just need to construct it properly.

Do you have a cheap drafting compass and squares at home like they used to have us buy in school.
With this you can design many things on paper before you build it.

I have a set and I use them a lot for many things before I make them.

One time I figured out and make a wrap around that you use to cut out notches in tubing for race car crash cages.

Here are some common terms you can use that will help you.
Cantilever.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...voiC9KbsC7gIxw

Lever.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...p6MmtlPSQKxu4g

These two alone will allow you to come up with things that are structurally sound for the application you will be using them for.

Even the re-bar can be used if supported properly with bracing and wire.

Here is a simple way to make a Gothic arch showing how make the radius you need to make an arch of a certain height and width.
All you do is draw circles and cut them in half.

Arch.jpg
Old April 1, 2016   #25
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Good info Worth, thanks! It would be easy to run a bar across the top, really thanks, never though of that! The poles btw are cemented in. I had a chimney redone and the contractors left 300 pounds of unused cement here, had to find things to do with it!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #26
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I was gonna say, I use 1/2 inch conduit for any kind of trellis if I can. I got a bunch free that was tore out of an old warehouse. Just add a pole in the middle like Worth said. You can hammer the ends flat, drill a hole, and secure it with wingnuts or w/e.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I still want to make a tunnel eventually, and maybe it can still be done with the what I have around here and what we just built? The 4x4 posts are buried 30" into clay starting at 18-21". The are 103" tall.

Drew's picture made me think of this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0051.JPG (77.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0053.JPG (73.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0055.JPG (80.4 KB, 65 views)
Old April 1, 2016   #28
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Drew, it seems that if you put a couple of 90 degree elbows at the top of that conduit and connected the two poles with a cross pole, you would have no sagging. Just tie string hanging down from the top cross pole for the beans to climb and you're all set.
They might want to wave side to side, however; which is why I use a 4-leg system, like a table frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I tried using 1/2" diameter conduit poles and parachute chord. The poles are ten feet long. 3 feet in ground, 4 if you count the raised bed. It sagged. This year I replaced the 1/2 inch with 3/4 inch conduit, which cost 6 bucks a pole. Two grades of steel. The thicker poles are 30 dollars each, so i used the thinner steel poles. See how it works. It's only about 7 or 8 feet long. Here it is with the 1/2" poles.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

On thread #27, if you look at the pole on the leftmost top picture, that is actually 3 short poles spliced. We had six 4x4 poles and had to make the seventh one. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get the horizontal boards put at the top of the 4x4s, and at least the lowest string/wire.

I put the two rows of pole bean supports 4' apart. I'm not sure if that is far enough apart or not. Next fall/winter, I'll buy more 4x4 posts to replace the spliced one and add another row at whatever distance is needed/desired. I thought we might have enough 2x4s to nail together to make 4x4s for another row, but we're way short. The arch will have to wait until I get the 4x4s. In July, I'll have our car paid off again. That'll free up some money to buy materials.

I'll grow the second row of pole beans on the T Posts and rebar this year. I drove the rebar down more - that fence/trellis is only 6' tall. I know the wires will sag some but the T posts and rebar are only 5' apart, so I'm thinking the sagging won't be too bad.
Old April 1, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The place is looking good Salt.

Worth