Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2012   #1
treeshaker
Tomatovillian™

Default new seedling problems

HELP i planted tomato and pepper seeds feb.13 in jiffy pots with jiffy seed starting mix. put them in the jiffy greenhouse on a heat mat with grow light set for 16 hrs a day. they came up really quick, but now they are getting yellow leaves, the plant is real thin and purple colored. this am i mixed up a VERY weak solution of miracle grow fertz. and put some on the plants. it has been so long since i planted seeds i don't know if this is normal or not. soon as them plants reached the top of the greenhouse i took it off and unplugged the heat mat.

thanks guys and gals
treeshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I take mine off the heat mat and uncover them as soon as the sprout.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #3
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

treeshaker, you might want to follow the below thread that I started on some issues I've seen on my seedlings. There's a lot of good information passing around there, some of which may help.
Best of luck.
--naysen
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21691
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #4
treeshaker
Tomatovillian™

tks twill-it is pretty cool in my basement,this prob. is the cause of the purple plants. have not figured out yet the yellow leaves. prob too much water. tks
Old March 9, 2012   #5
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Hey-
I'm not sure if I am reading your post correctly, did the plants turn purple before you put the miracle gro on them or after? Miracle gro tomato can turn certain varieties of tomato seedlings purple... and this isn't the shrivelly purple associated with lack of phosphorus... it is an interaction that the miracle gro has with certain tomato varieties...
I live near the ocean so I am not a big miracle gro fan because of what excess nitrogen runoff does to the ocean ecosystem... but just wondering when the plants turned purple?
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #6
treeshaker
Tomatovillian™

Default purple toms

it was before i put on miracle grow-and i made a very weak tea of it.i have now got everything out of the basement and into the sun,so hopefully this will end them prob. thank you very much for your info.
Old March 10, 2012   #7
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

interesting. let us know what happens after they have been in the sun a while. i keep experimenting with different tomato varieties to find ones that are the easiest and most convenient for me to grow. once i find some favorites I just stick with those until I get bored. This is for my home garden. For school we experiment with different things to see what will happen and then I actually make sure we purchase extra plants each year that are known producers so the families have plants to grow food at home. that's just how I do things.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #8
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

You might try potting them up into another container with a good potting mix. I had some similar to what you are describing that look really healthy a week after potting them up. I think cool temperatures can make them purple.
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Was it only the cotyledons that turned yellow? That happened to mine from being in the cooler basement but the leaves underneath got purplish, and the cotyledons turned yellow, it looked very weird. Two days out of the basement all turned out fine, I think it was just too much cool temps.